Which benefit now? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Which benefit now?

Bywell59
Bywell59 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello all, my first post so here goes, I "failed" a ESA assessment July last year and was advised by DWP that I had two other benefit options I could apply for,  UC and JSA.I chose UC as I was not fit for work, but was unaware that there was a qualifying period of 13 weeks before any benefit would be payable. I attended a UC assessment and was subsequently awarded the enhanced disability rate, in the mean time I went through the long process of reconsideration and tribunal with ESA which resulted in a decision in my favour. 
My questions are  will I stay on UC or be returned to ESA from which I should not have been denied ?
What level of benefit will be due to me for the ESA excluded period ?
I am 60 y old ,married, my wife receives state pension.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Firstly great news on the Tribunal win. Unfortunately because you claimed UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA, even though you won your Tribunal. Any backdated money owed will be paid up until the date you claimed UC.

May i ask which group you were placed into for the Tribunal? WRAG or Support Group?

Secondly, i'm not sure what you mean by Enhanced disability rate for UC because there's no such thing. There's a LCWRA element, is it this that you're claiming?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bywell59
    Hi Poppy, thanks for your kind comments, it was the support group and your right it is the LCWRA element I was trying to refer to. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    This means that your ESA will be backdated to the day before you claimed UC. You'll also receive the extra LCWRA element backdated to the start of your UC award.

Backdated money can take 8 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bywell59
    Thank you for your help Poppy much appreciated, just have to wait now!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @Bywell59! Thank you for sharing this with us. If there is anything else we can do then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Bywell59
    Thanks Chloe! I think Poppy has covered and explained everything that I have asked .Its great to have the community help to rely upon, especially after the trauma suffered in the last couple of years.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    No problem at all @Bywell59! I'm glad we could help. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.