Pip awarded — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip awarded

Options
oldbanger
oldbanger Community member Posts: 10 Connected
Hi 

I got the dreaded letter that DLA was ending and that I needed to apply for PIP in May, filled in the forms and sent them off, then I did the pip test online which came back as standard daily living and standard mobility.
I started to worry as this meant the car would have to go back (I don’t drive anymore but I have my daughters on the Motability car as they take me everywhere)

I suppose I am not the only one who has then gone online and seen all the horror stories of people loosing their entire awards and having to go to tribunal.

I lost my appetite, couldn’t sleep, was in constant pain and my stress levels went through the roof and this was even before I had the assessment.

In July I had a home assessment, the OT who was assessing me seemed nice, she took time to ask all her questions and patiently waiting for my replies, she kept asking further questions to my answers, which at the time I didn’t understand why, just thought she was trying to trick me.
She asked about All my aids and adaptations I had and typed each one, she was extremely interested in the ones recommended by my OT (my wet room, downstairs bedroom, wheelchair etc)

I finally received the brown envelope yesterday,  sat there for about 20 minutes just looking at it before opening it.

I now understand why she was further questioning me, she was actually trying to help me.

I have been awarded enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility for 3 years and just wanted to let you all know that not all assessors are bad, some actually want to help us.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @oldbanger, thank you for sharing your good news, there are to many bad news story’s so reading yours will give many making he transition from DLA to PIP a boost and it’s not all doom and gloom.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great news, thanks for sharing! I agree, we hear to many bad stories and your news proves that those good HCPs are definitely out there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Really good news @oldbanger. It's great to hear a positive story. :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Saracen
    Saracen Community member Posts: 66 Pioneering
    Options
    Congratulations  a wonderful result relax now 
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Options
    Yep, thats good to read ...my face to face home assessment was ok i thought , the lady was very nice , professional but very nice as well ...it,s just over four weeks since my assessment and i got a brown envelope through the door yesterday . I had to compose myself before i opened it ( with my wife sitting waiting on me opening it ) ...alas , it was just a letter from DWP saying they now had all the information to make a decision and i will hear what they have decided at a later date  . Has anyone else recieved this letter ? 
    Is this a standard letter ? 
    Thank you .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Seanchai said:
    Yep, thats good to read ...my face to face home assessment was ok i thought , the lady was very nice , professional but very nice as well ...it,s just over four weeks since my assessment and i got a brown envelope through the door yesterday . I had to compose myself before i opened it ( with my wife sitting waiting on me opening it ) ...alas , it was just a letter from DWP saying they now had all the information to make a decision and i will hear what they have decided at a later date  . Has anyone else recieved this letter ? 
    Is this a standard letter ? 
    Thank you .
    That's just a standard letter that everyone receives and doesn't really mean anything. A decision can still take between 2-8 weeks.

Requesting a copy of the assessment report will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @oldbanger and thank you for sharing such a positive story. :)

Scope

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks Poppy...i am on tenterhooks at the moment , i think i would rather  just wait on the decision rather than read the report from the assessor .
    Thanks .?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.