ESA claim approved without the home assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA claim approved without the home assessment?

Chaoticmess
Chaoticmess Community member Posts: 4 Listener

I got a letter just before Christmas day last year to put in a new claim for ESA. Sent it off early January and then got given an exam appointment. Sent doctor letter stating I need a home visit. A home visit was accepted and that's the last I heard of it until now.

Been waiting for a letter to come through telling me when a home visit was going to happen. Instead I've just received 2 letters telling me that my claim has gone through and everything is continuing as normal.

The issue I have is that the letters haven't really made it clear if this is actually the case or not or what happened to the home assessment.

So my question is, does this happen? Do they just not bother with the home assessment in the end or will I still eventually end up having one later on and these letters are just some sort of ongoing update letters or something else like that, separate to the new claim?

I also fairly recently won a back pay award from the government screw up with income related ESA when in the support group. It makes me wonder if this also triggered a re-evaluation of my ESA which is what the letters are about, not the new claim?

Any insight appreciated.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The letters we receive from ESA are often very confusing because a lot of the time they don't make any sense.

We could only guess on an internet forum what the letters you receive are for, therefore i'd advise you to ring ESA tomorrow morning and ask if a decision's been made on your ESA review. If it has they will tell you.

It's not unusual for them to change their mind about an assessment but it doesn't happen very often. The letters could also be about the IB to ESA error. They will definitely be able to tell you for sure when you ring them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chaoticmess, did you manage to get any further with this? I'm sorry it's been a such a stressful experience for you.
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.