How long before a PIP assessment is scheduled? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long before a PIP assessment is scheduled?

Mike72
Mike72 Community member Posts: 23 Listener
Hi all, 

Does anyone have a ball park figure of the time scale required from originally applying for PIP to the assessment appointment to the final decision? So far it has been 10 weeks since I applied and I do not even have a assessment appointment yet  even though I was informed it would be between  6 - 8 weeks. No one seems to be able to tell me. Through illness I am unable to work and I have doctors certification. Therefore I am really struggling financially to make ends meet. Does anyone have any suggestions please? 

Thanks.

M

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The reason no one's been able to tell you is because there's no timescales. It can be anything from a few weeks to 4-5 months just for the assessment. Then anything from 2-8 weeks for a decision.

You say you've applied for PIP but have a DR's sick note because you're unable to work. Please be aware that PIP isn't about not being able to work and you don't need a sick note from your GP to be able to claim this. A sick note is not classed as evidence and won't be accepted.

PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. People claim PIP and work, providing the reason's they work don't contradict the reasons for their claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mike72
    That is most informative. Thank you very much Poppy. I guess it is just a waiting game now.
    PIP did contact my doctor and he had a form or two to fill in which he did and returned. 

Thanks. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mike72, how are you getting on? I hope the information given was helpful. :)
    Scope

• Mike72
    Hi Chloe, well I received a phone call from pip saying that needed to see me for assessment as expected but unfortunately the backlog is so extensive they could not offer me a appointment until one becomes available. I have no idea just exactly when that will be. So far it is approaching 3 months since I initiated the process. I am certainly having struggles  to make ends meet due to the excess financial outlay I am incurring to live independantly.

It really is a waiting game. 

Many thanks to everyone  for all the information.

M. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Mike72, lovely to hear from you. I really hope you aren't waiting much longer!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.