Has any won with mental health won at tribunal ? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has any won with mental health won at tribunal ?

Options
2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's your decision at the end of the day because it's your Tribunal. Do be aware though that a poorly presented case can lead to refusal.

I can't give you anymore advice than i already have. Good luck and do let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Singing
    Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you poppy - I think my appeal looks confusing, because in my assessment I was pretending I was fine because that’s what I do when I’m in survival mode. And then in my appeal I was saying how my daily life really is. I did explain this in my appeal I said that I felt pressured to say I can do things that I can’t. So maybe I don’t need to write the letter. That is what I am concerned about, Presenting my case properly. because, I have to make my case on that basis. That there are discrepancies Between the report and my actual daily living, because I’m so used to having to pretend I’m fine. Does this make sense
    And then, I need to obviously focus very clearly on explaining the descriptors and the reasons why I am entitled to PIP. Which is the main point I am aware of that. It is frightening, to have to face up to. But that is what I’m gathering is the main point of my case. But obviously I just wanted to defend myself because the way they are presenting the case is that I said I’m okay, when actually, I’m not.
     Just talking and thinking this out loud is really helpful staff. I am starting to see that, it might not even be necessary for me to explain this. It might just be necessary that I focus on why I believe I am entitled to PIP. It just helps me in my mind, because it’s confusing to me as to why I would go there, and say I’m okay in an assessment, because I know that I’m not. That’s quite difficult to explain why somebody would do that. But, it is a defence mechanism that I am used to doing, because I’ve been in so many situations where It’s necessary. To do that. so that I can get away from the situation safely.
  • Singing
    Options
    I will focus on the PIP descriptors now. And leave the letter for now

From this discussion and my learning of it here, it seems like the most important thing.

Thank you
  • Singing
    Options
    Thank you so much.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Singing said:
    I will focus on the PIP descriptors now. And leave the letter for now

From this discussion and my learning of it here, it seems like the most important thing.

Thank you
    You're very welcome. Indeed, it is the most important thing. What did or didn't happen during the assessment and the discrepancies in the report are not important now.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wish you the best of luck with it @Singing and please let us know if we can do anything else to help. :)
    Scope

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Singing - does this help?

Think of it like sitting an exam - before you start you need to understand the question (otherwise you can't answer it!!)

So when you look at 'Preparing food' what the DWP mean by that is:-

a claimant’s ability to prepare and cook a simple meal for one from fresh ingredients. It assesses ability to open packaging, peel and chop, serve food on to a plate and use a microwave oven or cooker hob to cook or heat food. Serving food means transferring food to a plate or bowl, it does not include presentation. 

You need to tell them what difficulties you have, and what hep/assistance/aids you need.

Don't tell them that you can't get food out of the oven, carry plates to the dining room, or cook a family meal - because these AREN'T included...

Apply this to each of the descriptors that you have difficulty with and you're on the right lines...

Good luck...

• Singing
    Options
    Ok, right, thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.