Child Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Child Benefit

Jayne2001
Jayne2001 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My claim for housing and counciil tax has been suspended pending proof of child benefit for my 18 year old son. This is being looked into as he is doing an online full time  college course funded by the LEA through his EHCP plan he has done online learning this way since age 13, as he autistic and won't  leave the house.. I am so stressed that my claim has been suspended that I am not eating or sleeping properly. He gets enhanced rate PIP. and i am his full time carer.I don't want him to stop his course as he does nothing else but don't know if he will have to if my child benefit claim is refused.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you still receiving child benefit and child tax credits for your son? or have they stopped? Usually once a child reaches 16 you have to report the changes each year to HMRC. Once the changes are reported and the name of the college course he's doing is given, along with the qualification gained at the end, they usually tell you over the phone whether your benefits continue.

Once this is done you'll receive a letter from child tax credits with all the updated information and the new tax credits award. You'll also receive a letter from child benefit telling you, it will continue. Have you received any of these?

I know this because my daughter who also has ASD attends a special needs school and my benefits have continued for her but i rang them in June to tell them her education was continuing. I received my child benefit letter about a week after i rang them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jayne2001
    I am receiving tax credits for my son, and they accepted a letter from his college it is just the child benefit office who are looking into whether or not his online course is counted as full time education, even though it is the only way he can access education,it is paid for by the LEA by his EHCP plan and  (and has been since he was 13) as he won't leave the house and he studies full time.
  • poppy123456
    That very unusual for child benefit to question the course he's doing if tax credits have accepted it. They both have exactly the same criteria. See links.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jayne2001
    Thak you for the links. I can only think that it is maybe because the letter the college provided for tax credits only stated it was a bespoke course and not an online one - he does have a tutor who sets him work to his level which is then marked.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. What level course is he doing because this is what really matters.
  • Jayne2001
    He is doing functional skills English level 1, Maths level 1 and Combined ICT Entry level 2 and bespoke topic work set by his tutor. .
  • poppy123456
    Potentially the bespoke that's causing the problem. Speak to your sons college who should be able to help you get this resolved.

Having said all of that, that's no reason to completely suspend your housing benefit.
  • Jayne2001
    OK I will do that thank you so much for all of your help. I am going into the housing benefit customer servcie office on Monday to tell them I will supply the proof of child benefit as soon as I receive it-I have chased them by phone and email today and they have promised a reply within 3 weeks.  It is just unnecessary stress.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.