Radar keys — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Radar keys

Androgen
Androgen Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know exactly how the radar keys work for disabled bathrooms? Can someone else open the door while you're in there?

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Radar keys help to keep disable toilets clean.
    No-one can get in while  your in. Theres  a red light to show your in and Theres a handel which you pull up or down depending on model while your in which stops anyone opening the door.

Please keep shut at all times to stop kids making a mess in there. While your getting from your wheelchair to the loo noone want wet or dirty clothes and this has happened because the door wasnt shut 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    No, not if you`ve put the handle across from the inside 

• Androgen
    Androgen Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Thank you for the replies, I'd seen a lot of people talking about making sure you knock first, which made it sound like anyone could open the door as long as they had a key (I'm deaf so I wouldn't hear it, and have been avoiding radar key bathrooms because of this)

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Androgen said:
    Not sure if this is the right place, but does anyone know exactly how the radar keys work for disabled bathrooms? Can someone else open the door while you're in there?

There will be an indicator showing it to be occupied but it could still be unlocked by another key.  This could be useful in an emergency if for instance you need assistance.  Same thing could apply in any situation whether or not a radar key is needed. The main reason for the key is to try to maintain a certain standard of facility which is helped by keeping it closed to the general public after use.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I have seen a red `engaged` indicator, yet there is no one in the loo!
    Just ensure you push the handle to lock the door.
  • AndMac
    AndMac Community member Posts: 27 Pioneering
    I’ve been in supposedly locked loos (quite old ones) where someone has tried to walk in after using their key. Fortunately I can shout, and the person could hear.
    Newer loos don’t have this problem. 

Brightness