Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Redundancy and universal credit

brilliantjbrilliantj Member Posts: 28 Connected
edited October 2019 in Universal Credit
Hello everyone.  I have an autistic son who is nearly 20. He does get higher rate PIP.  He has finished his education and can't do anything else (even with support) so he's at home full time.  Working FTC and Child Benefit have stopped and in August I applied for Universal credit - FOR HIM (still no payments as yet!)  As he can't leave the house (because his anxiety levels/rigid thinking/OCD) we have had to ask the DWP to come out to validate all his paperwork.  Even then, I had to go to the job center because they wouldn't accept the DWP officer's correspondence!!!!  When I got home he'd trashed the place (and I now have very square saucepans!!)  Anyway, I'm trying to claim Universal Credit for him, but now he's waiting for a medical assessment (please GOD let it be at home!!).  If (and knowing them it will be a big IF) they say he can't work will he get some sort of disabled premium?  I'm due to me made redundant from my little part time job at Christmas and have having difficulty finding something else, because I need so much flexibility. I can't claim UC for myself as I've been told I will have to live off my redundancy/savings.  If I claim carers allowance does that pay my national insurance contribution will be paid (if I'm not working) and also will me claiming carers allowance affect his PIP or Universal Credit?  Bear in mind I won't be claiming UC for myself, only him.  Sorry for the ramble. Blessings to you all x


  • Joanne_ScopeJoanne_Scope Scope helpline, Scope adviser Posts: 190 Pioneering
    Hi @brillantj,

    If your son is found unfit for work following his assessment then he could be placed in one of two groups. The first one, limited Capability for Work, does not pay any extra. The second one is called the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity (LCWRA) group and he would get an extra monthly amount of £336.20 per month paid from the 4th month of the claim.

    I can see from your previous posts that @poppy123456 has given you advice about letting the assessors know about your son's issues and requesting a paper assessment.

    If your son is getting PIP then you could claim Carers Allowance if you are earning less than £123 per week or you are not working. You will get NI credits if you claim.

    Claiming Carers Allowance will not affect your son's PIP or his UC claim.

    This would be counted as income if you claim UC when your savings/redundancy go under the £16,000 limit.
  • brilliantjbrilliantj Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Thank you Joanne. Slightly confused as the cab told me today that they will take my carers allowance away from him? Your response was very well worded so thank you x
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,970

    Scope community team

    Hi @brilliantj, you claiming Carer's Allowance definitely won't affect his PIP and isn't taken away from him. If he were claiming SDP it would stop his entitlement to that, but as he's on Universal Credit he has no entitlement to that anyway. 
    Senior Community Partner
  • brilliantjbrilliantj Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Thank you Adrian :)
Sign in or join us to comment.