Advice needed please. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed please.

mac1976
mac1976 Community member Posts: 63 Listener
Hi I’m just looking through a pip form. 
When i have a fit I lose bladder control and need help to change or replace clean bedding due to being wet. I’m not sure where to put that on the form or even if that will come into my care needed. Anyone else have this. Thank you. 

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I believe this will come under continence....bladder section. If you cant see where to write about this, there is  a section following each category, to write your own words.
    It DEFINITELY is part of the extra help you need as you are unable to change your pad, clothes and bedding by yourself.

I recently made a PIP claim and worded this separately. My f2f assessment asked about this.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    @mac1976 managing toilet needs or incontinence is Activity 5.

According to the DWP guidelines :-

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to get on and off the toilet, to manage evacuation of the bladder and/or bowel and to clean afterwards.

This activity does not consider the ability to manage clothing, climb stairs or mobilise to the toilet.

It doesn't seem like changing bedding is included in this; changing clothes etc is covered by Activity 6 - Dressing and Undressing.

Hope this helps (even if it's not what you wanted to hear!)
  • mac1976
    What’s The f2f Assesment please. I’m confused with all this. X
  • pollyanna1052
    PIP considers any help you need to perform every day tasks.
  • mac1976
    I see it’s the assessment after the form. I don’t need that help every day/ night. Would that still count as care. 
  • mac1976
    So could I put help with dressing after I’ve lost bladder control or not. Thank you. 
  • cristobal
  • pollyanna1052
    cristobal said:
    Hi just tried that link twice and it failed?
  • pollyanna1052
    mac1976 said:
    So could I put help with dressing after I’ve lost bladder control or not. Thank you. 
    Yes, do tell ALL that happens, even if it`s not everyday.
    I saw that some people were filling in forms as on their worst day. I read that this can go against you, so wouldnt do it. When f2f assessor came, she asked me if I had good days and bad days...I said not really...but fatigue and pain can vary...she asked what`s today then/? I said I was anxious as she was with me! And I told her I had some back pain, which I did.
  • mac1976
    The problem with me is unless you see me having and after a fit I look fine. I do look tried most days. It’s hsrd to exsplain what I have to watch what I’m doing for example going out. The is a chance I might not walk back through the door but be in A&E which has happened many times or going home with 2 black eyes and a forehead that’s the size of a ballon. I am thinking if to just let my DLA end and leave it at that. I don’t think I will get it look at the points. X
  • cristobal
    @pollyanna1052 - sorry - I never seem to have any joy posting links!

Search DWP + PIP + assessment guidelines ...and it will come up with a 'gov.uk' address. No 2 is the guidelines..

You obviously has some experience of this but dressing/ changing bedding does seem to be excluded from the incontinence descriptor - open to being corrected though!!
  • cristobal
    @mac1976 - why not have a look through the descriptors (I posted a bad link sorry..) and make an honest assessment of which apply. No one know your condition better than you.

Tot the scores up - if it's more than 8 then apply...

Good luck..

• mac1976
    When I’ve taken the incontinence away. It’s leavinv me with 6 points for care but when I’ve done the mobility it’s given me 10 points for having someone with me. So I need supervision for cooking and bathing. Sorry to keep bothering you all. It’s judt stressing me out. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger

It's worth having a read to have some idea what the criteria is. Remember PIP is about what your condition is like at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period.

Not everything is included with the PIP descriptors, some things are some aren't, it really does depend how your conditions affect you. Filling out that form with as much information as possible and adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you will also help. There's no specific wording to use when filling out the forms, just tell it how it is.

You won't know until you at least apply and be assessed. You'll most likely need a face to face assessment because most people have them. Evidence should be sent with the form to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this.

Good luck, what ever you decide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    mac1976 said:
    When I’ve taken the incontinence away. It’s leavinv me with 6 points for care but when I’ve done the mobility it’s given me 10 points for having someone with me. So I need supervision for cooking and bathing. Sorry to keep bothering you all. It’s judt stressing me out. 
    Dont give up! You do have qualifying needs...so go for it!
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @mac1976
    If you need help after a bout of incontinence at night.You should explain what help is needed to clean your body.
    There are extra pages at the back in which you can explain this means help with a complete change of nightwear and bedding. It will be up to them as to whether they follow this up at assessment. At least if the information is there then it all goes toward establishing difficulties whether it scores any points or not. The continence side will be covered by having help to clean yourself up afterwards.
           Debsidoo.x
  • mac1976
    Thank you it’s just so complicated. I will have to find some help for filling the form in. I get myself all flustered at times. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.