Accessibility Statement? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Accessibility Statement?

Options
g1gop
g1gop Community member Posts: 17 Connected
edited October 2019 in Coffee lounge
I thought that it was a legal requirement for places in the UK (museums/galleries/places of interest/etc) to have an accessibility statement?
I have just been looking at  a few websites for various places I would like to visit. Some I had visited before I became disabled. None have an accessible statement.
I am having to phone/email these places to find out if it is even worth turning up!
I understand that some places are just not possible to make accessible and some only partially so. but surely a statement/comment on the website is not too much to ask?
My own experience has been very mixed. Some places just can't do enough to assist you. Other just look blank. Some places only play 'lip service' to the problem. Many places (Madam Tussauds in Blackpool for example), allow a wheelchair they have around but that's it. If you can't wheel yourself around then sorry no. Shops/cafes have got ramps but 'sorry only for light wheelchairs'. BTW no where to even put your scooter outside. Then there the 'push bell for assistance(Wetherspoons pubs with big heavy doors that are impossible to open by yourself ). Yet no one comes when you do press the button.
Don't get me wrong. I am not expecting the world to adapt to me or people like myself, but hey come on don't say you provide facilities then don't !!
It is so frustrating to get somewhere and then find that you are stuck or can't use. If you can't/won't provide access for me then fine I will go elsewhere, but at least give us a fighting chance by saying so and actually providing the facilities you say you are!

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    g1gop said:
    I thought that it was a legal requirement for places in the UK (museums/galleries/places of interest/etc) to have an accessibility statement?
    I have just been looking at  a few websites for various places I would like to visit. Some I had visited before I became disabled. None have an accessible statement.
    I am having to phone/email these places to find out if it is even worth turning up!
    I understand that some places are just not possible to make accessible and some only partially so. but surely a statement/comment on the website is not too much to ask?
    My own experience has been very mixed. Some places just can't do enough to assist you. Other just look blank. Some places only play 'lip service' to the problem. Many places (Madam Tussauds in Blackpool for example), allow a wheelchair they have around but that's it. If you can't wheel yourself around then sorry no. Shops/cafes have got ramps but 'sorry only for light wheelchairs'. BTW no where to even put your scooter outside. Then there the 'push bell for assistance(Wetherspoons pubs with big heavy doors that are impossible to open by yourself ). Yet no one comes when you do press the button.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not expecting the world to adapt to me or people like myself, but hey come on don't say you provide facilities then don't !!
    It is so frustrating to get somewhere and then find that you are stuck or can't use. If you can't/won't provide access for me then fine I will go elsewhere, but at least give us a fighting chance by saying so and actually providing the facilities you say you are!
    Hi, I`m with you all the way on this one.
    I`m a powerchair user and find the mixture of reactions when trying to access places, to be mind fuddling at times!
    There is a useful guide which I have contributed to called Euan`s Guide. Have a google and see what you think. Most places I research before arranging to go, do have an access section.

A lot of high street shops are inaccessible to me and I usually find another outlet to spend my time and money in. But occasionally there is just one outlet I can get a certain item from and have done a deal on the pavement! It`s disgraceful that we should be subjected to this at all!

We gotta keep nagging I`m afraid!
  • shirleyt214
    shirleyt214 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    Please, please read, sign and share my petition. If enough of us stand up against this, the Government HAS to do something - 

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/let-us-in?share=a97b0675-2b4d-4c2e-b738-b6868d289647&source=email-share-button

Shirley Todd
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this with us @g1gop and I know it's so frustrating! 

@pollyanna1052 has recommended Euans Guide which is a great resource, there is also AccessAble which have reviews of accessibility that are written by disabled people. 
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    just to clarify it is EUANS guide...not EVANS guide.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are correct @pollyanna1052, sorry about that. I have linked the website as well. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is one of my passions. Inclusion is so important. Whenever we are at the local church or the library etc, I use the lift. Honestly, my town is pretty accessible even for full time wheelchair users like my son. London on the other hand... is a nightmare. 

Pubs and shops are a bit trickier to get inside. My local leisure centre a few roads away, has a accessible entrance without any steps. We were in London a few months ago and I took the kids to a Chinese family restaurant then we decided to visit a art museum. Trying to actually push my son's wheelchair safely without injuring others was a nightmare. What is your coping technique for crowded places? This includes hotels and restaurants. Please tell me. 

Also getting on and off the trains was difficult. I could literally write a essay on this issue. Today we went out for pizza. We drove to a Pizza Express tonight not far from my flat. That was not so bad given the level entrance. I parked my son’s wheelchair next to me and we had a great time. 

Brightness