What’s the difference — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What’s the difference

stuartperry
stuartperry Community member Posts: 36 Connected
 Hi guys I’m still slightly confused what’s the difference between new style contribution esa and the old.   

Looking on the gov website you can still apply for the old one  seems to be a different form is this correct ?

Also what’s the best way of applying 

Many thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's a different way of applying  and there's no Income Related top up on New style ESA. You can no longer apply for the old Contributions based ESA, it's now New style ESA. Claiming it will depend on your NI Contributions in the previous 2 tax years.

You can still apply for the old Income Related ESA but to be able to do this then you must be claiming the severe disability premium in with an existing benefit. If you don't then you'll need to claim Universal credit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stuartperry
    edited October 2019
     What’s the best way to apply...

Looking on the GOV website      They talk about two forms    Esa1  for income and contribution 

nesa1  for newstyle  and   Universal credit

My mother will most likely get contribution because she’s been working all her life...

Guessing she needs ESa1.   This isn’t the new style That means you can still apply for old

• poppy123456
    She will not be able to apply for the old contributions based ESA because it doesn’t exist anymore. It will need to be new style ESA but working in the previous 2 tax years is what counts. 

If she’s recently been working has she claimed SSP for 28 weeks? This is payable from her employer before being able to claim new style ESA. 

Universal credit is totally different as it’s a  means tested benefit. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stuartperry
    edited October 2019
     Thanks poppy once again,

So the only thing they’ve changed is the form you apply with... ?
      just looking at this new form it says you need to attend a work capability assessment.  Does this mean they will assess you physically  is this  separate to the questionnaire  capability of work  Along with its face-to-face?

I don’t understand why there is a new form if they still going to send the questionnaire form out after.  Guessing this would be the esa1 again 

So I need to fill-in NESA form? Just to clarify thanks  Or is it better to give them a call 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. It's not the ESA1 form because that's the old ESA. The form she should have filled in is the NSESAF1 form. It will tell you on the front of the form what it is.  Once that is done she will need to attend a first appointment at her local job centre. Has this been done yet?

Once all that is done she's eventually be sent the ESA50 form (work capability assessment form) this must be filled in with all her information about how her conditions affect her and send evidence with it to support her claim. Once it's received she'll most likely have to attend a face to face assessment, which is the work capability assessment. This assessment is similar to the PIP one but with different criteria, of course. It's not a physical assessment.

If you're unsure what to do this link will tell you.

• stuartperry
    So nseaf1  form is okay for contribution base also ?

Look on their website on how to claim why do they make out there is two   Forms you can fill out the first being for universal credit     The second is the esa1.   

Also  Will fit notes need to be regularly sent to the job centre I did read this somewhere thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    The NSESAF1 is for New style ESA which is contributions based only and can only be claimed if you#ve paid enough NI Contributions from working in the previous 2 tax years.

Universal Credit is a different benefit and is means tested. Claiming this will depend on your circumstances, such as income from partner that works and savings/capital. If you live with a partner then you'll need to claim this as a couple.

Fit notes will be needed for both and you'll need to continue to send then until you've been assessed and a decision'd been made for the work capability assessment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.