ESA refusal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA refusal

Options
Ragesht
Ragesht Community member Posts: 44 Connected
Hello people, so today I have just learnt that ESA has been denied to me.
i am a 56 year old Multiple sclerosis sufferer who is wheelchair bound, is there any help advice to fight this out here?
thank you in advance.

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you previously been in work and then had to go on the sick? Is your GP doing sick notes for you?
  • Ragesht
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your question, I contracted MS in 2006, I have not claimed a penny up until this year due to hard times as a result of a divorce.
    so I started my claim in May this year and I have been getting sick notes from my GP.
    Now after assessment they feel I can work.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Ragesht. I'm really sorry to read your application for ESA has been unsuccessful. Your first step would be to appeal this decision by asking for a mandatory reconsideration. We have some information about this here: www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/#Challenging-a-benefit-decision but if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

I should inform you that unfortunately, the majority of MRs are unsuccessful and are then needed to go to tribunal. I hope that helps and any questions, just ask! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, as a MS member also I was placed in support group and never had physical assessment just paper , sent in all medical evidence was sent for assessment but on calling for transportation I was informed I had been placed in support group having recently had a pip assessment being awarded low rate on both categories. I have mobility and balance issues but at the time I was partly mobile not wheel chair bound. I can not understand why you where not put straight into support group. Admittedly my job was hands on practical, farming and no work place adjustments could be made to accommodate my disability so having to surrender my all singing and dancing driving to be replaced by a three year basic car one and just had it renewed to a five year one. You must take it to an MR focused on the ESA descriptors.
  • Ragesht
    Options
    Thank you fellow sufferer, May god bless you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.