What's your tastiest bake? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's your tastiest bake?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
This week (14th - 20th October) has the rare honour of being National Baking Week!

I can't claim to be a great baker (my last batch of biscuits was more like a traybake) but I'm always in knead of more recipes or suggestions. Do you like baking? If you needed to impress, what would you bake? What's your tastiest bake? Do you follow recipes, or bake by ear? What's your secret ingredient to add some spice to your baking?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not really a baker, but would love to pick it up again and learn.  I used to bake when I was in the Girl Guides and made things like Rock Buns, which were literally rock hard, lol!  Also I baked Pineapple Upside Down Cake for my Cooks Badge.  Would love to bake like they do on the Great British Bake Off!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    I used to make all my own home baked cakes, pies, tarts everything haha, unfortunately I’m not able to it any more. Never mind, I to love to watch Great British Bake Off, I was a bit dubious when it changed channels  but it’s just as good.
    My husband, myself, daughter, son-in-law, son and daughter-in-law all chose a person off GBBO and keep our fingers crossed that our own gets the furthest.
    Well it’s only our daughters that’s still in hahaha and boy is she enjoying it.
    Give it a go Ails you never know you might enjoy being a baker. Enjoy tomorrow, I wonder who’ll be going home????????
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This week (14th - 20th October) has the rare honour of being National Baking Week!

I can't claim to be a great baker (my last batch of biscuits was more like a traybake) but I'm always in knead of more recipes or suggestions. Do you like baking? If you needed to impress, what would you bake? What's your tastiest bake? Do you follow recipes, or bake by ear? What's your secret ingredient to add some spice to your baking?
    Scrumptious! 
  • Ails
    Thanks very much for that @Gwendoline1.  Your baking sounds lovely and glad to hear you and your family enjoy The Bake Off.  It is good!  I definitely fancy giving baking a go again and will let you know how I get on with it.  :smiley:
  • Gwendoline1
    Good for you, why not give it a go.!
    Yeah I’d love to know how you’ve got on.
    Im not ‘Mary Berry ‘ but if you need any help or tips please just ask.
    Im sure the spiceman would help too, he does a lot of cooking and gives brilliant recipes and tips on cooking also. 
    Good luck and happy baking ???

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Alternatively you can find bakery books at your local library etc. 
  • Philippa1961
    Philippa1961 Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
    I used to bake quite a bit but both myself and husband are diabetic so I tend to look for 'diabetic friendly' recipes when I do bake.  I occasionally make a chocolate cake which is diabetes in the making but some friends still persuade me to make it sometimes.
    Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, just remember how far you have come. remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    All of our baking now has to be egg-free which presents a few challenges. The birthday cakes we've managed have all been quite moist, but very edible!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Many thanks for the encouragement and ideas, @Gwendoline1 and @April2018mom.  I will definitely give baking another go and let you know how I get on and yes, @thespiceman is always such a great help when it comes to cooking and baking advice.  :smile:
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Adrian_Scope   Thank you for sharing. I would like to share these recipes.

These are ones I have used. Also are not a lot of ingredients and are worth considering.

As they use up every day store cupboard items and food supplies.

Please can I add . Sorry to say do not have an oven right now have a hob. These from my recipe files when some one asks me for a bake or a snack.

The timings are in degrees as I did have in the past an oven used to do these with an electric one.

As I have right now. 

Hope every one enjoys.

Apologise to those who have fan or gas do not know the equivalent. Timings.

EASY FRUIT CRUMBLE

Bag of frozen fruit used Cherries and berries used a 500g .
    Any fruit past it best Apples or Pears sliced.
    Cinnamon half a teaspoon.
    Pot of Cookie dough I used this . Used to make Cookies from.  Used Chocolate chip variety or any one you wish to.
    Ice Cream or Custard to serve with.

METHOD

Oven 220 degrees. Pre set.
    Add fruit and frozen to a baking dish . I used a medium sized one.
    Add Cinnamon and sprinkle on.
    Add Cookie dough tear pieces all over the baking dish and cover the fruit.
    To the oven bake 20 minutes.
    Till golden brown serve with what ever you want I like Custard with this.

OAT FLAPJACKS

175g butter cut up.
    140g Golden Syrup.
    50g Light Muscovado sugar.
    250g Porridge Oats.

METHOD

Pre set Oven 180 degrees.
    Line a base of a tin around 23 cm.  Line with parchment paper.
    In a medium pan add butter, syrup, sugar dissolved on a low heat.
    Remove from pan add Porridge Oats. Stir in.
    Press mixture in to tin and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes. When golden brown.
    Remove from oven.

This is a good tip mark out squares or bars but do not remove. Leave to cool then . Remove the marked cut bars or squares. Easy to remove with out crumbling.

After five minutes.

GRANOLA BARS

100g butter some extra will be needed to grease tin.
    200g Porridge Oats
    50g Walnuts have used Pecans or Hazel nuts
    150g mixed seeds included Sunflower, Pumpkin etc.
    3 tbsp of honey.
    Ground Cinnamon 1 teaspoon.
    100g light muscovado sugar 
    100g of mixed fruit your choice.

I have used Dried Apricots, Dates, Prunes, Sultanas and Raisins. Used a mixture or just one variety.. 

Cranberries and Cherries or Blueberries dried use them as well another option.

Uses up dried fruit from stores.

Oven pre set 160 degrees.
    Butter a base of tin 18 cm 25 cm.
    Mix together on a baking tray the Nuts, Oats, Seeds.  To toast five minutes have lined a baking tray with parchment paper.
    Watch will burn easily.  No one wants burnt Nuts lol..
    In a pan add butter, honey, sugar. dissolved melted.
    Add Oats, Fruit, Nuts, Seeds, Cinnamon stir in.

Off heat into tin.  Press not too hard .  30 minutes bake.

Cool slice into bars.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ails
    These sound yummy, thanks @thespiceman:smiley:
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite thing to make is 'raspberry buns', it's a recipe from my grandma. It basically is a biscuit/ sponge that has raspberry jam in the middle. Always goes down a treat!
    Scope

• Gwendoline1
    Mmm raspberry buns lovely, I used to make them with my children when they were young. Memories, wonderful ???

Brightness