Esa backpayment savings query - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa backpayment savings query

Comments

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    You are very welcome and I hope it all works out ok.

We are here if you have any further questions:)
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Tina66
    Tina66 Community member Posts: 56 Connected
  • Tina66
    Hi all, this is for @poppy123456 hope you're well? Stupid question alert re my brothers 52 week disregard of esa backdated thst you explained few weeks back - when the 52 weeks are up will he have to pay back any housing or council tax? Even though his savings were less than 6k when he got backdated payment and are much less now someone has scared him and said he will have to pay housing and council tax but I said that that doesn't make sense as he has been under 6k from before and to present day. Apologies, I believe I'm right but wanted it written down to show my brother ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I've got a stomach bug today so not feeling too good! Sorry for the delay in replying.

You are absolutely correct, he won't have to pay anything back to his local council for anything. Who ever told you that, is incorrect and i hope you tell them too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for stepping in @poppy123456, hope you are feeling a little better today!
    Scope

• Tina66
    Thank you @poppy123456 I wish you Better ? 
  • poppy123456
    @Chloe_Scope @Tina66 thanks for the well wishes. My stomach bug continues :(

Tomorrow is house moving day and i'm dreading it. I can't wait for Sunday, when i'll wake up in my new home and can then start unpacking at my own pace. At least the weather is going to be kind!

I will have very limited internet access from tomorrow until Tuesday, but i will return in the middle of  next week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tina66
    Good luck with it all, hope stomach bug goes ASAP ??
  • Tina66
    OK, this is the last time I'm going to do this re this subject of my brothers 52 week disregard backpay (really hope) and I'm a bit embarrassed because lovely @poppy123456 (hope moving home and stomach going OK) has already told me all about the 6k savings rule but my brother wants to ask now, on his award letter it says, 'will not add this amount to the savings you have already told us about until after 52 weeks' so whilst I explained everything to him that the onus would be on him to contact DWP if he ever went above 6k, as Poppy says, he thinks that after 52 weeks they'll add it all up (again under 6k) and will bombard him with forms to fill in which he really struggles with. I can see the slight confusion there because of that sentence as even I'm a bit wondering.... ? Again, I'm so sorry, it's the constant reassurance thing. 
  • poppy123456
    Providing he has under £6,000 total in savings then he doesn’t need to do anything and no there won’t be any forms to fill in. Best thing you can do is to show him this thread and hopefully he will understand.

Stomach is better, thanks. House move is complete and my new home is beautiful. Very tiring week and I’m glad it’s over as now I can relax. Limited internet and no TV until Tuesday ? thanks for asking! 
  • Tina66
    Moving is so so stressful especially if you're unwell so I am glad that you're settled although not having tv or limited internet is a pain but only few days till you do. I'm going to print out this thread I think if I can as I don't want to repeat myself anymore and at least it's there in black and white for him ?? thank you again for replying ??
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Tina66. I'm really glad Poppy was able to help you with your brother's additional queries. Has it managed to put his mind at ease a little bit?
    @poppy123456, thank you for your help here! I hope your first few nights in your new home have been good. Is it starting to feel like home yet? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Tina66
    Hi @Adrian_Scope, Poppy has been great, I really appreciate it especially with being so busy and unwell. I did want to ask further but felt embarrassed but now as you have messaged, my brother does understand about what poppy has said re 6k and the backdated payment FINALLY but it's this sentence 'we will not add this amount to the savings you have already told us about until after 52 weeks' - just doesnt make sense, if it's down to my brother to notify them. I understand if you're rolling your eyes because I may be repeating myself but it's just thst sentence. Also because my brother gets a lot of panic attacks it makes me stressed too. I think once that actual sentence is broken down I can show him that too and print it all out ??? ???
  • poppy123456
    @Tina66

When he had the backdated money the reason it’s nit added to any existing savings at the time is because it’s completely disregarded for 52 weeks. After the 52 weeks all of his savings are counted. Hope this helps put both your minds at rest. 
  • poppy123456
    @Adrian_Scope thank you for asking! Yes, it’s already starting to feel like home. Thankfully I had a lot of help from friends and family and all the boxes are now unpacked. ? just a few more things to sort out along with my internet being reconnected tomorrow morning and I’m all set. 
  • Tina66
    Oh I understand that Poppy ?(and amazingly so does he!) it's just the 'after 52 weeks it's counted/added to savings' part as in how can they possibly know what my brother has left now? We know of course but he could have saved more money or won money (if only he could). He wants me to ring DWP but I don't have time and it's hard to explain. It's hard for me poppy, my brother needs constant reassurance and it's so exhausting and if he doesn't understand something it's a desperation to know, dissect, even if it doesn't actually effect him - he is like this about a lot of things in life. He's obsessed with this particular sentence. I'm so sorry ? 
  • poppy123456
    No need to be sorry. I’m sorry it’s difficult for you, has your brother had a needs assessment? You or he can refer him for this from his local council. Someone will come out and assess him to see what help could be given. 

DWP won’t know if his savings exceed the lower limit which is why is his responsibility to contact them after the 52 weeks if he did have over that amount. As he doesn’t then there’s no need to contact them. 
  • Tina66
    Hi, I get it, I'll explain it. ?Thank you. No, I've never heard of a needs assessment at all. Is it something I Google with my local council? He gets PIP but that is a payment. ☺️
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tina66, here's the link to be able to apply for a needs assessment. :)
    Scope

• Tina66
    Thank you so much, Chloe ???

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.