Private rent agencys refusing benefit claimants — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Private rent agencys refusing benefit claimants

19681989 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
Hi all 
Has anyone experienced rental agencys refusing to allow you to apply for a rental property if you claim benefits. 
It keeps happening to us, I care full time for my adult son so therefore claim benefits. 
We can afford the properties, have great references and can even provide a guarantor!
What can we do? 

Comments

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    19681989 said:
    Hi all 
    Has anyone experienced rental agencys refusing to allow you to apply for a rental property if you claim benefits. 
    It keeps happening to us, I care full time for my adult son so therefore claim benefits. 
    We can afford the properties, have great references and can even provide a guarantor!
    What can we do? 
    Hi @19681989

I cannot be certain as to why this happens, but it may be the Landlord's wishes rather than the agents? It could be worth looking into the viability of Your adult Son making the application, rather than you as His appointee? My own daughter for example did this for my Autistic son of 30 years, who she also claims caring allowance for. 

The agent and also the Landlord, could then perhaps be liable for discrimination against your Son, due to His disabilities, if they refused HIM the property? Worth checking out at your local Citizens Advice Bureau, perhaps?  Unless of course your Son's needs require certain adaptions to a property which a potential Landlord may not be liable to provide?    

Thank you for your post reply very interesting. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This has been happening for many years, only it's worse now than ever. It's not just the landlords, it's mortgage companies that can also refuse rental from those claiming benefits.

Guarantors are very often needed, some go as far as asking for home owner guarantors, which makes it even harder.

It took me 2 years to find a house because i claim benefits too. Thankfully i was able to get a working guarantor which my landlord accepted and moved into my house just a few days ago.

There are landlords out there but very few and far between. Try looking at gumtree for your area or doing a google search for landlords that accepte DSS in your area. Also ask your local council of the area you plan on moving to if they have a list of landlords that accept DSS. Don't give up and keep looking because eventually you may just find that perfect property for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    Hi poppy Good luck in your new home. 
    Excellent ideas. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Yep, I'm also stuck somewhere that doesn't meet my needs but unable to move now I claim benefits.  I wasn't claiming benefits when I first moved here.  I'm not even sure if the Landlord/agent knows now but I daren't tell them! 
    I'm sorry to hear that, best wishes and good luck if you decide to move. 

Brightness