PIP and Epilepsy - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and Epilepsy

Comments

• saz11
    saz11 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    @mac1976

Hi glad you seem more positive. 
    Do you see a consultant for your epilepsy? 
  • ozzy19721968
    ozzy19721968 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Hi all how are we all today .having a good day so far managed to get a few hrs sleep the most I have had in a few months 
  • mac1976
    mac1976 Community member Posts: 63 Listener
    Yes I go to the Walton centre in Liverpool. I don’t know who I’m going to see yet. I’m there on the 14th nov but my form has to be with them on the 8th. I just hope I’ve filled the form in correctly. I’ve just said how it is I my own words. 
    How I am after it happens
    I’ve said that I need to keep myself as safe as I possibly can. 
    Ive also put that I can’t tell you when it will happen and where as I don’t know myself. I’ve got no control over that. 
    Ive mentioned the triedness the headaches loss of bladder control 
    how I feel after a seizure and how long it takes to feel okay 
    I’ve used the sheet at the back of the form to explain it in more detail  on how it is in my own words. 
    I have said I’m not very good at putting pen to paper. I would exsplain it better face to face. 
    Just hope it doesn’t look like I’m waffling on and Making it sound worse than it is. 
    Ive said I do have some good days but still have a headache and feel tired. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Two of the things they will be interested in are the frequency of your seizures and and if you get any warning.
    If you have now filled in the form as best you can make sure you make copies before sending it back and include a copy of your repeat prescription. When you have a face 2 face (the vast majority do) as above try and have someone with you who knows all about your seizures and how they affect you.
    The face 2 face is quite involved, its aim to find out what care and or mobility issues you have and usually last upto an hour.
    Don't be put off applying as thats what the "system" wants you to do, there are far more good outcomes than bad.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @mac1976 - before I completed my form I kept a diary - just notes on a sheet of A4.

This worked quite well for me because I had a clearer picture of how my condition affected me.

Perhaps you could keep a note of your seizures and how these affects you (what you were doing when they happened, was it unsafe etc) and incontinence issues. This might help you to complete the form?
  • mac1976
    I’m going to send a date sheet with when I’ve had them. I will need my husband to help me do it. 
  • saz11
    @mac1976

Hi the reason i asked about you seeing a consultant is that i have read many times on here that your GP can not say how your condition affects you.
    Your consultant is much better qualified to do this. 
    If you include there details on the form and if DWP need to contact them for any clarification then they can and also tell them about your next appointment.
    I too suffer with epilepsy and i just told them exactly how epliepsy affects me daily and gave them my consultants details along with my repeat prescriptions.
    I am not saying it easy it not its a very stressful process but there there are sucessful outcomes.
  • mac1976
    The receptionist at the doctors gave me a fact sheet that includes my perception list. I just feel that all I’m going on about is my epilepsy. I will include on the form that I’ve got a appointment at the Walton centre and which date. I can’t give them a name as I’m not sure who I will see on that day. I just don’t want them to think I’m pulling a fast one. I’m not getting my hopes up what will be will be. 
  • mac1976
    I have included the triedness and headaches. I’m using codine now as ibuprofen and paracetamol aren’t touching it. I do have some good days it’s just I can’t tell if I’m going to have a fit becouse I don’t know myself. As you will know that. I’ve included my safety at the end of the day I need to keep myself as safe as much as possible the only way it effects me day to day is the triedness and headaches plus the cooking and bathing. So don’t think I will get it for that anyway 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Future appointment letters/dates are not classed as evidence because it doesn't tell them anything about how your conditions affect you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mac1976
    I will just have to send the form back without then and see what happens. I will speak to the consultant and see if he can send me something for when I go to the assessment. I’m just having a lot of second thoughts about it. 
  • poppy123456
    Do you have any letters from Consultant appointments that you've had in the past? When myself and my daughter has appointments i get sent a copy of the letter that's sent to our GP, then i keep all those letter to use as evidence.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    @mac1976 I only had my GP's supportive letter, as he knew me well, but as he'd been on holiday, I didn't get it in time to send off with my PIP form. I took it in for my assessment.....so yes, any additional medical evidence you may get, take with you to the assessment.

It sounds like you've filled in your PIP form very well btw. That's what you need.....just describe how you're affected & the safety aspect.
  • saz11
    edited October 2019
    @mac1976

Tell them about your appointment if i remember it does ask if you have any upcoming appointments . No its not evidence but giving them as much info as possible gives them a better understanding of what going on and that you are attending appointments with a epilepsy consultant. At your appointment ask for a copy of the letter covering that appointment and what was discussed and any future treatment which  you can take to your f2f. If at your f2f they do not accept the letter forward a copy to DWP with your NI number on it with a quick explanation and follow up with a call to make sure they have received it and scanned into there system. Anytime i have phoned i have always found them very helpful.

Epilepsy does affect each person differently some people are able to manage it with meds and live a relatively straightforward life but others unfortunately cannot get the condition under control and it impacts on nearly everything you do.

Safety is my number one priority as i have suffered some very serious injuries due to sezuires and i have to minimize risk were i can.

It can be quite difficult for people to understand the impact epilepsy has on you. You can only go and be honest with them and explain it how it is thats all you can do. You not lying about having epilepsy the evidence will be there for them to view if they wish to do so and request it. You just have to tell them how having epilepsy impacts on your daily life and anything you have had to put in place to keep you safe. 

Also let them know if your medication causes you any side effects.
  • poppy123456
    Advising that they request evidence if they need it is incorrect, sorry. They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence. The onus is on the claimant to prove they qualify.

Giving 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you is also extremely useful.
  • saz11
    @mac1976

Just a few things to go over and ask yourself.
    Does epilepsy prevent you
    Going out alone....do you always need someone with you for safety reasons.

Can you cook a full meal with a cooker on your own. Again safety reasons i.e.have you taken seizures when cooking alone.

Can you prepare your food on your own...has doing this caused any injuries to you while you carry this out......the use of sharp utensils etc.

Can you use a microwave to cook full meal or just to heat up a ready meal.....are you able to remove hot food and liquids from a microwave without risk.

Can you bathe and shower on you own.....or do you alawys have to have someone with you for safety....have you have a seizure whilst doing this when on your own.

Have you substained any injuries as a result of seizures

How long does it take for you to recover after a seizure, how many do you suffer weekly.

Does epliepsy cause you to feel down or depressed.....what does it stop you from doing i.e. hobbies....being around people and family. Do you isolate yourself , are your fearful of having a seizure all the time. 

There are lots of things you wouldn't necessarily think would be relevant but they are so i thought i would give you a few things to think about.. These things may not apply to you but hopefully it gives you a rough idea of some of the things they question. 
  • mac1976
    Thank you everyone for listening to me. I’ve been so stressed since I got the letter to apply for pip. My DLA was a life time award. Do to think that could just be taken away over night has worried me. It’s all I can think about at the minute.
  • saz11
    @poppy123456

HI Poppy just to clarify my understanding of pip is not about providing evidence of you health condition its about how it affects you which i believe is the evidence that would be expected to be provided by a claimant. I was trying to reassure mac1976 that their health condition is not in question the evidence of their diagnosis is there if the DWP wish to review. If i am wrong in saying that please could you have my posts removed. Thank you

• mac1976
    Please don’t ask for your post to be removed. You have been most helpful to me when I needed it and appreciate it very much. 
  • saz11
    @mac1976 

Thank you. I have been advised i have given you the wrong information which i apologise for that it wss not my intention. I hope things get better for you and hopefully you can put this behind you very soon and get on with your life.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.