PIP renewal or new application — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP renewal or new application

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
I belong to a benefits advice group and have seen many posts about PIP reviews, all with conflicting information. I wondered if those here could clarify.

I've seen posts where people were awarded PIP after the assessment, at MR and at tribunal and have received PIP review forms up to a year before their award ends. 

I've seen people awarded PIP at assessment, at MR and and Tribunal where they've been told to make a new claim. Sometimes this means their award runs out before they get through the reassessment process.

Is there a rule for whether it's a review or a new claim? 

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    Awards given by DWP used to be reviewed 1 year before the award is due to end but this has now been changed to 6 months.

Awards given by the Tribunal are not reviewed, they are sent more PIP2 forms 14 weeks before the award is due to end. If the decision isn't made before the end date of the claim their money stops. Once a decision is made, if successfully awarded they will be backdated to the date their PIP stops.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    I knew you'd know @poppy123456

If the person that won the tribunal successfully claims PIP - does it become a review next time?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    No, not unless the decision is made by the DWP.

However, having said that all claims should be classed as a new claim by all claimants. Those review forms are very annoying because so many people think she should just put "no change" but that's not correct, you should still put down as much information as possible, followed by those real life examples.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Thanks for your help @poppy123456 much appreciated

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.