Risks of Mandatory Reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Risks of Mandatory Reconsideration

LouiseM16
LouiseM16 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi. We have recently been through the F2F PIP assessment for my mum, and she has been awarded standard daily living and enhanced mobility, with 12 points for mobility and 11 for daily living. She previously had a lifetime award of DLA with both enhanced components. She is relieved to have got anything at all after hearing what other people have had to go through, but she IS entitled to enhanced and relies on this money. She has been given zero points for several things she cannot do herself, so in theory, she should easily get at least one more point, getting her enhanced dl.
However, we are really concerned that by going for Mandatory Reconsideration she risks losing what she has been awarded. I feel it is too risky and stressful for her, but it is very hard to just drop it knowing what she is entitled to, how much she relies on the money, and that they have not awarded points where she should have been, leaving her only one point away from enhanced. Can anyone say how likely this is or have any advice please? Thank you!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm afraid no one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risk to her current award by requesting the MR. For this she will need to get some face to face advice from an agency near her.

Most MR decisions remain the same but of course there's also a chance she could lose everything or even be given a higher award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LouiseM16
    Hi,

I'm afraid no one on an internet forum can tell you if there's any risk to her current award by requesting the MR. For this she will need to get some face to face advice from an agency near her.

Just looking for opinions based on people's own experiences with this situation. I asked on here because I don't know where else to turn. Are you referring to any agency in particular?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Stats say that 18% of MR decisions change and 72% remain the same. As for an agency then it will depend what's local to you, this link will help with that. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally I might have been happy only to lose around £30 a week, but I would say that as I got £40 a week more from PIP than DLA, there is a risk but a low risk, but as above most decisions stay the same after MR, it would then depend if she wanted to go to appeal.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    This is what I've asked welfare rights and an autistic advocacy, they pretty much said it was rare and unlikely. I'm probably going to do an MR myself hence me asking them.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LouiseM16 and a warm welcome to the community! The decision to make an appeal is completely yours. However, if you do decide to go forward then we can help you with the MR process. 

Did you get a copy of your report sent? This could show you if the report is a true reflection of your current situation. I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• LouiseM16
    woodbine said:
    Personally I might have been happy only to lose around £30 a week, but I would say that as I got £40 a week more from PIP than DLA

She is grateful to have been awarded any, but still a loss of £120 a month is significant when she relies on every penny. Congratulations on getting a higher award :) 

woodbine said:
    there is a risk but a low risk, but as above most decisions stay the same after MR, it would then depend if she wanted to go to appeal.
    Stats say that 18% of MR decisions change and 72% remain the same. As for an agency then it will depend what's local to you, this link will help with that. https://advicelocal.uk/

Thanks for the info! 
  • LouiseM16
    WF2k said:
    This is what I've asked welfare rights and an autistic advocacy, they pretty much said it was rare and unlikely. I'm probably going to do an MR myself hence me asking them.
    Good to know, thank you. Good luck with yours!

Hi @LouiseM16 and a warm welcome to the community! The decision to make an appeal is completely yours. However, if you do decide to go forward then we can help you with the MR process. 

Did you get a copy of your report sent? This could show you if the report is a true reflection of your current situation. I hope this helps. :)
    Hi! Thank you! 
    We are now waiting for the report, I should have requested it sooner, but hopefully it will come in time. Thanks for the help :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LouiseM16, no problem. I hope you receive it soon. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope your mum gets the enhanced rate she deserves. I am awaiting my decision and rely on the money too. I will fight if I have to.
    I know how stressful this all is.
    Take care, you and your mum xxx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.