Self employed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self employed

Maimarsh
Maimarsh Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My son is self-employed will claiming care allowance will it affect he's money in anyway 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maimarsh

Good Evening & Welcome.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here.

We have got some good info/advice here.

I have posted a link below for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/benefits/

Please let me know if you need any further help????

@steve51
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

To claim carers allowance you must look after someone for at least 35 hours per week and that person must claim a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care, PIP daily living or Attendance Allowance.

You must also not earn more than £123 per week after deductions. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

Do be aware also that you claiming carers allowance for someone means it could affect that persons benefits, depending on what they claim and their circumstances. It maybe worth you both speaking to an advice agency before you do anything else.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maimarsh
    But my son is self employed he helps me before work and after my stepdaughter claiming it at moment not seen since her dad died in august which not happy about because she's getting money for doing nothing 
  • poppy123456
    As advised, if he's earning more than £123 after deductions per week then he won't be able to claim carers allowance. Please see the link i posted above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maimarsh, how are you getting on? :)
    Scope

• Maimarsh
    Still looking for ways to get care allowance 
  • poppy123456
    Maimarsh said:
    Still looking for ways to get care allowance 
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? how much does your son earn each week from being self employed? As advised, to claim carers allowance you mustn't earn more than £123 per week after deductions. If he earns more than this then he won't be able to claim it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.