M.P — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

M.P

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Its everyones choice if they vote or not, BUT they only way we can usually see major changes is by using our vote it is the one time every 4 or 5 years that our voices really matter to those in power.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @justdon, really glad to hear that you had a productive morning. I hope it all works out. :)
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be interesting if anything comes of your metting to benfit others. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I love this and it is exactly what my post `when is someone in power going to listen` is about!
    What constituency are you in and what`s your MP`s name please?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I wish the MP here would take the same interest tbh, he just gets people to email me back, in fact I emailed earlier with an update, no response at all, wouldn't surprise me if they've blocked me haha because I've been a bit outspoken on Twitter about him and it was only then he got someone to email me to offer help and even then they didn't help! 
  • [Deleted User]
    edited October 2019
  • [Deleted User]
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @justdon

Thanks for the feedback following your meeting with your MP.

I entirely agree it would inappropriate to name your MP, to maintain your privacy on this forum.

Might I be bold and suggest an alternative.

As you may be aware, there is a Select Committee for Work and Pensions, which is highly critical of the DWP (In particularly about PIP).

The chair of the Committee is Frank Field MP, who never holds his punches.

Would you consider asking your MP to report your concerns with your PIP direct with Frank Field on an anonymous basis?

Select Committee hearings are broadcast on BBC Parliament channel!

DWP debates in the Commons are often poorly attended, so you might not get many bucks for your bang.

Once again, thanks for your feedback.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    justdon said:
    @pollyanna1052 im not sure i feel entirely comfy with saying publicly ?
    Purely as A. im not sure how that sits as regards to her but also B my own anonimity on here if that makes sense ...dont mean to be an awkward pain in the ass !

Fair enough! But I wish more MPs would speak up for us.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @atlas46 said "DWP debates in the Commons are often poorly attended, so you might not get many bucks for your bang."

Atlas - I agree. After all of the whinging, whining and teddy throwing because parliament had been prorogued I watched a debate a couple of days after resumption - I counted 21 MPs...

Personally I'm not sure what the answer is. My MP is very helpful but he's from a minority party and the parliamentary system doesn't really do anything other than a short- term fix. Governments, in my opinion, don't do anything until they absolutely have to - after the Grenfell tower they are suddenly a lot more interested in fire safety; same with Windrush, and knife crime...
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    @justdon errr welllll, I pretty much said I wouldn't vote for him again because he wasn't helpful, but it was probably a tad more blunt than that.

Oh I have an update about my PIP btw, I've linked my thread below so I don't highjack your thread lol.

https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/63505/pip-update

• [Deleted User]
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I emailed 2 MPs (my local one, plus a nearby MH campaigner) regarding the local MH services and PIP but didn't receive a response from either. :(  How did you first get a response out of interest?
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious - I think it might just depend on the individual, as with most things.

I emailed mine, got a reply within an hour and met with my MP a week later (fortunately he was having a surgery in a local village)
  • [Deleted User]
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    I contacted my local MP (Tory at the time) a few years ago about an issue i had with a backdated payment DWP owed me. I had a response within 1 hour and a phone call from a DM at DWP within 3 hours. Money was in my bank 4 days later.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.