Now Then..... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Now Then.....

LadyonWheels
LadyonWheels Community member Posts: 8 Courageous
.....as we say in Yorkshire.
56 Female (not very original Handle) with CES, married to man withj PD so we have fun falling over each other 
Just wanted to say hi. 
I'll pop off and read a few threads x

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello lady! I`m in Yorkshire too...West. What bit are you in? Can I ask what CES and PD are please? I have spastic paraplegia...on wheels too. xx
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hello @LadyonWheels I'm Emma, (also on wheels myself). Welcome to the community.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hello @LadyonWheels
                                        Welcome to the community, thank you for joining us. Please have a look around the forum, there are many conversations going on which you may wish to join in with. If you have any questions, please just ask, there are many lovely people on the community and we are here to support each other. I also a wheelchair. Thank you. 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LadyonWheels and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for the great introduction which I enjoyed reading.  It is good to have you on board and I hope you enjoy your time with us.  The Community is a great place to meet new friends.  If there is anything we can do to help/support you then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • LadyonWheels
    Hello lady! I`m in Yorkshire too...West. What bit are you in? Can I ask what CES and PD are please? I have spastic paraplegia...on wheels too. xx
    CES is Cauda Equina Syndrome. My Lumbar disc ruptured and damaged my Cauda Equina nerves. I woke up paralysed. No function between waist and thighs e.g. doubly incontinent. Spent months learning to walk. Fell over, broke my hip at the socket *ouch*  ended up back in the Wheelchair for al year. Legs went into Atrophy, got the all clear to walk again. Pinned leg is now shorter, walk became waddle. Have to use a different set of muscles to walk, resulting in falls and exhaustion.
    Three years ago another disc ruptured in my sleep. This time I was left with drop foot. Back in the chair for safety. 
    PD is Parkinson's Disease. 
    We haven't got a working leg between us ?
  • LadyonWheels
    Oh I'm in Beverley, East Yorks. 
    I'm from Stoke on Trent originally. My RAF Career led me to Lincoln then after ten  years crossing the Humber Bridge, I moved. 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LadyonWheels and welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @LadyonWheels
    I am from Sheffield so big up the Yorkshire Massive! ;)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @LadyonWheels! Great to have you here and I hope you have a good look around. :)

Also from Yorkshire!  o:)
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @LadyonWheels   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear what you are going through.

You come to the right place for information, support and most of all friendship.

I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please can I ask have you contacted The Cauda Equina Syndrome Organisation might be useful for any thing they can assist or help with.

https://www.caudaequinauk.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 089 0053

Also Parkinson Organisation.  Hope that is useful for you.

https://www.parkinsons.org.uk.

Helpline 0808 800 0303

Monday to Friday 9am to 7pm.

Saturday 10am to 2pm.

Please ask if we can help with anything.  Some one will know a member of our team or a member of our community.

Please I hope you enjoy your time with our community.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LadyonWheels welcome I'm also in yorkshire (south) and another on wheels. Keep up the positive outlook its refreshing to read . 
  • LadyonWheels
    Thanks for the welcomes.
    As they say "tha can tell Yorkshire Folk, but tha can't tell 'em much"
    I'm 50% Yorkshire:
    Mother from West Hill Gate, Bradford. 
    Father from the Potteries. 
    Did my RAF service around the Lincolnshire Airfields before being Head Hunted by British Aerospace at Brough East Yorkshire. 
    Did ten years crossing the Humber Bridge before moving to Brough as a Single Mum. 
    Took Redundancy in 2007 and moved to Beverley to look after my then Fiance. 
    Had a career change in 2009 when I went back to work full time, but on Feb 4 2013 I woke up paralysed and that was the end of working. My employer couldn't do 'reasonable' adjustments and I was in Rehab for six months. By the time I was fit to come back it was 2015 and my job had gone. 
    I prefer 'Early Retired' to 'Unemployed' it seems more positive that way x
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @LadyonWheels

Hi, I'm from Yorkshire too. :) All three children were born in Beverley Westwood Hospital. 

Now living down south. 

Beverley is a lovely little town isn't it? Used to be our favourite place for going out for coffee.

I also lived in Cottingham before I was married.

I prefer "Early Retired" too   ;)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Welcome to the community @LadyonWheels. Great to have you with us! :smile:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LadyonWheels - Welcome to the community. It seems there's quite a lot of us lucky enough to live in God's own county! I live in North Yorkshire. I'm sorry to read about all the problems you've had, & can relate to the fractured hip, as one of my pins is pinned too.
    Great to see your positive attitude so hope to see you around the forum.

Brightness