films — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

films

Options
pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
I go quite often to my local cinema and yesterday saw the new Renee Zellweger film `JUDY`. My carer and I did enjoy it. Poor Judy, real name Frances Gumm, What an awfully sad life she had. She had brief moments of happiness when she fell in love 5 times and married a man who hurt her. And her 3 children gave her much pleasure and she adored them.

I watched more about Judy Garland`s life on You Tube and I feel so sad for her. All she really wanted was to be loved.

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I have seen the Judy film advertised, @pollyanna1052 and it looks great!  I must ask one of my friends if they want to go to see it with me.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Yes, she didn't have the best life, but an amazing talent!  Quite a poor soul!  I watched a programme on tv the other weekend there about Cary Grant and he had a very sad upbringing and left home at 16 to join an acting troupe and then went on to America where he found his fame and fortune.  His awful memories of his childhood always haunted him, although you wouldn't have know it in his brilliant films.  I love all the older actors and classic films!  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The last film I saw was about a Russian spy. I love films however! Tomorrow I’m going to watch a film with a friend. 
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    Ails said:
    Oh I have seen the Judy film advertised, @pollyanna1052 and it looks great!  I must ask one of my friends if they want to go to see it with me.  Glad you enjoyed it.  Yes, she didn't have the best life, but an amazing talent!  Quite a poor soul!  I watched a programme on tv the other weekend there about Cary Grant and he had a very sad upbringing and left home at 16 to join an acting troupe and then went on to America where he found his fame and fortune.  His awful memories of his childhood always haunted him, although you wouldn't have know it in his brilliant films.  I love all the older actors and classic films!  :smile:
    Yes, in the stuff I`ve watched since seeing the film, it was said that Shirley Temple was the first MGM choice to pay the role of Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz...but she was signed to a different company and they wouldnt release her, so Judy (Frances Gumm) was chosen.

But Shirley also had a difficult childhood. Only another crazy show biz mother allowed their child to be treated badly. I expect there are many more stories like this. The childhood actors did get a raw deal.

It`s like Micheal Jackson, who was never allowed to be a child.

Sad stories and here we are getting so much enjoyment from their outward appearance. Shame. xx
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, really sad, indeed, @pollyanna1052.  It just goes to show what great actors these stars were to hide so much pain and sadness they faced.  x
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @pollyanna1052   Thank you for sharing . I always had an interest in the old films.

Channel called Talking Pictures has a lot I like.

You mentioned Judy Garland a lot of film stars had a lot of issues and problems.

As many of them were part of the Studio system . You were told what to wear, walk, talk and behave.  Any misbehaviour you were out.

As it was then and probably is now a mans domain and world all the Executives powerful and bosses. Plus Directors. You told what to do even act or sing.

Education and knowledge were part of the Studio System.  Involving the young film stars of the Studio they were assigned to.

If they ever wanted to have a date or go out or even marry some one had to be the approval of the Studio.

Those days were tight controls on publicity and media.  You were if you worked for a Studio under contracts.

Given specific films or character to play.

The Story of Judy Garland is one example. Actually fact The Gumm Sisters were a singing group but they liked Judy and dismissed the sisters.

When collecting those early days. Used to go to Film Fairs in London and Manchester.

Meeting those who were Collectors themselves .  One Collector I recall had a whole house dedicated to Judy Garland. Mentioned she had been at the London Palladium in the Sixties he was there as young man.

Jimmy Tarbuck tells this story. Judy Garland had some sort of stage fright one night she refused to come out.  He gathered every one on the way to the stage . Giving her some support.

She came on to the stage and did a great show.  In fact in the film I Could Go On Singing she used the Palladium concerts as footage.

Having met a former colleague who I worked with.

Who had been a dancer in a previous life. Worked with Bob Fosse and Hermes Pan two chorographers  and designs of dance.

Who worked with Liza Minelli and others from the MGM studios.

One of the sad things for me was the amount of talented, amazing actors and actresses who were worked to death by Studios. In the Forties and Fifties.

Reason a lot of them were hooked on drugs, alcohol and had problems.

Happened to Judy Garland supposed to be the lead in Annie Get Your Gun but had a nervous breakdown.

I would suggest have a look if you can find them.. The Judy Garland Show ran around Fifties.  Be on line.

Shows her talents and skills, abilities plus her humour.

Glad you enjoyed the film.  

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    Hello @pollyanna1052   Thank you for sharing . I always had an interest in the old films.

Channel called Talking Pictures has a lot I like.

You mentioned Judy Garland a lot of film stars had a lot of issues and problems.

As many of them were part of the Studio system . You were told what to wear, walk, talk and behave.  Any misbehaviour you were out.

As it was then and probably is now a mans domain and world all the Executives powerful and bosses. Plus Directors. You told what to do even act or sing.

Education and knowledge were part of the Studio System.  Involving the young film stars of the Studio they were assigned to.

If they ever wanted to have a date or go out or even marry some one had to be the approval of the Studio.

Those days were tight controls on publicity and media.  You were if you worked for a Studio under contracts.

Given specific films or character to play.

The Story of Judy Garland is one example. Actually fact The Gumm Sisters were a singing group but they liked Judy and dismissed the sisters.

When collecting those early days. Used to go to Film Fairs in London and Manchester.

Meeting those who were Collectors themselves .  One Collector I recall had a whole house dedicated to Judy Garland. Mentioned she had been at the London Palladium in the Sixties he was there as young man.

Jimmy Tarbuck tells this story. Judy Garland had some sort of stage fright one night she refused to come out.  He gathered every one on the way to the stage . Giving her some support.

She came on to the stage and did a great show.  In fact in the film I Could Go On Singing she used the Palladium concerts as footage.

Having met a former colleague who I worked with.

Who had been a dancer in a previous life. Worked with Bob Fosse and Hermes Pan two chorographers  and designs of dance.

Who worked with Liza Minelli and others from the MGM studios.

One of the sad things for me was the amount of talented, amazing actors and actresses who were worked to death by Studios. In the Forties and Fifties.

Reason a lot of them were hooked on drugs, alcohol and had problems.

Happened to Judy Garland supposed to be the lead in Annie Get Your Gun but had a nervous breakdown.

I would suggest have a look if you can find them.. The Judy Garland Show ran around Fifties.  Be on line.

Shows her talents and skills, abilities plus her humour.

Glad you enjoyed the film.  

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Thanks Spiceman...you do have some interesting hobbies. I will look for  more about Judy`s work on line. One thing that illustrates exactly what you`re saying, is that although Judy was married, her mother and MGM forced her to have an abortion! Shocking!
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    Got my Judy biography...written by Gerald Clarke....started it...

Brightness