Difficulties with preparing food — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulties with preparing food

Options
akakay
akakay Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2019 in Research and opportunities
Hello,
My name is Kay and I am a Mechanical Engineering student. I am currently undertaking a project  researching the challenges encountered by disabled people when preparing food. Specifically I am looking into how food preparation methods and products can be improved to help those who have difficulty using their hands, and designing a product that can be of aid. 
If you could spare some time to answer some questions to give me a better understanding of your experiences with this topic, that would be greatly appreciated!

If you feel comfortable, please provide your age, description of disability and how severely this affects you on a day to day basis.

Questions:
How regularly do you cook?
What part of food preparation is the most difficult to do and what problems do you face?
What issues do you find with products that are currently on the market?
How do you overcome these issues at present?
What aspects would you want a product to have to make food preparation easier?
How do you handle peeling and/or chopping?

Thank you for taking your time to read this, I look forward to your responses and hope I can use this information to make a difference!

Kind regards,
Kay

Comments

• Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi I have no use of my fingers and can only use thumb finger I can’t hold cutlery or cook open cans .i have to use cup stuck to table and use straw .do you have any idea of anything easier to use would be good if there was mug that sticks to table and some how straw flexible 
  • Dotty123
    Dotty123 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    Options
    I can’t peel or chop if could get like round thing with points stuck down and some way to peel chop 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My son is a full time wheelchair user. If you could recommend a way for him to be involved in the cooking lessons rather than merely watching me or his twin sister make food, I will really appreciate it! What do you cook? Since I work, cooking sessions currently only happen on Saturdays and are really messy as well. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @akakay!

Thank you for taking the time to post this, and the best of luck with your research!

Posts on the Events, research and opportunities is the only board that permits the publishing of an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.