Unnecessary PIP assessor question? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unnecessary PIP assessor question?

paffuto10
paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
Is it just me or is this a ridiculous question? 

A bit TMI, sorry. 

I told the assessor that I am incontinent and GP, Urologist, Gynaecologist all confirmed this in writing. They also all confirmed that I have radiation damaged bladder. 

I explained that I need to use adult nappies (or pads as everyone keep insisting I call them) all the time. 24/7.
I explained that sometimes I don't even know that I am urinating and sometimes I do but still can't make it to the loo. 

Assessor question - what percentage do you not even know you are urinating compared to percentage when you do know but can't make it to the loo?

Is it just me or is this question totally unnecessary? 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @paffuto10   Sorry to hear you had this insensitive question no need in my opinion.

We all of us need to go the toilet or have to use one. Does it matter how you go. What you are and experiencing.

This is one question I am against should not be ever on the assessment any way.

Last one asked my bowel habits, very personal and intimate and I could do nothing about it as I refused to go into details.

So I being me on the defensive. Also knew probably lost points.

I am mortified to hear what you went through. I hope you are feeling Ok and please if I can be supportive. Please ask if I can help with anything.

Only too glad to be listening.

Wish you well.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • stephenjohn
    stephenjohn Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
     totally unnecessary........it’s just one of many that they ask 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Unfortunately, they have to ask you these questions so that they can get the full picture of how your conditions affect you, even though sometimes they do seem rather pointless.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • paffuto10
    Thankyou @thespiceman

Thought it was just me! 
    Sorry to hear you went through similar with your bowels. 

Just unnecessary, especially when consultant reports are confirming incontinence and even explaining why!!! 
    What more do they want? 
  • paffuto10
    @poppy123456

Yes but what would that have told her.? 

How does that give her more of a picture than consultants reports and also gave her 12 months receipts for the adult nappies.?

I feel that a person is either incontinent or not. I have evidence to show that I am, that's enough surely? 

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hello @paffuto10   Thank you for reply and kind words.

As I am a gentle man of a time not sort of thing to ask.  Also when you have I had an addiction .

Does effect the bowels and stomach.  Is it necessary to continue to press some one when in reality we all of us have problems after recovery.

I hope you are getting any support or advice or guidance with your condition.

Just concern have care for our community members.

Pleasure to meet you once again.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    It's all part of the assessment process and it's also part of the activity managing toilet needs, which is why you were asked those questions. The following was pasted from this link here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities

Activity 5 managing toilet needs or incontinence.

If the urinary tract is normal there will be little risk of incontinence no matter how long it takes to mobilise to the toilet. If there is, however, a bladder problem and the claimant will be incontinent before they reach the toilet, then a commode could be considered as an aid for the bladder condition (toilet needs) not for the mobility problem (mobility needs). Urinary tract conditions that cause urgency of micturition will be relevant in this context – other urinary tract conditions may not be relevant.

People may tolerate incontinence without seeking help, it’s possible that they have accepted this as a normal part of having children or the aging process and purchase their own pads, in which case 5b would apply.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • paffuto10
      Thanks @spiceman and @stephenjohn

@poppy123456  
    Thanks for reply, sorry I'm firing questions at you  :)

• poppy123456
    paffuto10 said:

@poppy123456  
    Thanks for reply, sorry I'm firing questions at you  :)

No worries at all, it's what i'm here for :)
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to add an opinion, I suspect that had you had a different HP for your assessment the questions you where asked may not have been asked in so much detail.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I was also asked this question, but in a slightly different way.
    I have a supra pubic catheter....here`s maybe TMI for some, but I am not shy about the subject, since it meant an operation and an outward urine collection bag.

I still wear an incontinence pad 24/7, as I suffer from by-passes and so my pad can be soaked or just dribbled on. TMI maybe, but a fact of life for me and countless others!

My assessor asked if my pad was wet everyday. I said Yes.
  • Hadley9th
    Hadley9th Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I have incontinence both ways. It was during the questioning of this I finally had a meltdown. I asked them if they thought I enjoyed being the way I was? Do they think I enjoy hardly ever going out in case of an accident? That my husband is now a full time carer and cleans up after me? I got 1 point for it. Same as he does all my meds cos I get confused and forget to take them. I got a big fat 0 . I was made to feel a fraud.
  • poppy123456
    Hadley9th said:
    I have incontinence both ways. It was during the questioning of this I finally had a meltdown. I asked them if they thought I enjoyed being the way I was? Do they think I enjoy hardly ever going out in case of an accident? That my husband is now a full time carer and cleans up after me? I got 1 point for it. Same as he does all my meds cos I get confused and forget to take them. I got a big fat 0 . I was made to feel a fraud.
    Hi,

It's impossible to score 1 point for managing toilet needs because that score doesn't exist. The least amount of points you can score for this is 2.

The only activity that you can score 1 point for is managing therapy and monitoring a health condition and this is activity 3 descriptor B.

• Hadley9th
    Hadley9th Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I'm sorry, I've just checked, it was 2 .  It was a while back. I do understand why they have to ask these questions, but some of the questions feel very personal and feel a little brutal. I feel guilty enough that I have to be on benefits. 
  • poppy123456
    They can often feel personal i agree but if they don't ask they won't know how your conditions affect you and they won't be able to assess you correctly.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.