Hello — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello

NellyMaggie
NellyMaggie Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
My name is Nelia I’m Portuguese, some people call me Nelly. I’m a new member, I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumour. And I really don’t know iff I’m able to work as a chef anymore. I’m feeling so tired and stupid, and some off my colleagues sometimes are really nasty. I do my work properly but still they just don’t understand. 

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Nelly, I`m so sorry to read about your tumour. It is so cruel that some of your colleagues are being nasty to you. Can you speak to a manager about this? Does it affect your capabilities?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Nelly welcome, sorry to hear they are being nasty to you.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NellyMaggie and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about your tumour and what you are going through with your colleagues.  Some people are just so narrowminded and nasty at times and it is so unfair that they are making you feel stupid, which I am sure you are not.  I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you and I agree with @pollyanna1052, that you should maybe speak to your line manager about this as their attitude shouldn't be allowed to continue.  Please be assured that the Community is here to support you too so will be here if you want to chat at anytime.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and if we can be of help in any way then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • mike62
    mike62 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Hi @NellyMaggie. I'm new to Scope and saw your message Nelia. No your not stupid you have a medical condition which is not your fault at all. In my last job our manager announced that our new female starter was a transgender. We didn't notice and our team were totally fine with his change, but some may not. So maybe your manager could have a chat with the team but maybe you could find out if that person is empethetic to people with a condition first and knows his/her staff well. All the best whatever you choose. Mike
  • NellyMaggie
    Ails said:
    Hi @NellyMaggie and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm really sorry to hear about your tumour and what you are going through with your colleagues.  Some people are just so narrowminded and nasty at times and it is so unfair that they are making you feel stupid, which I am sure you are not.  I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you and I agree with @pollyanna1052, that you should maybe speak to your line manager about this as their attitude shouldn't be allowed to continue.  Please be assured that the Community is here to support you too so will be here if you want to chat at anytime.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on and if we can be of help in any way then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Hello thank you so much, this online community it’s very helpful. It’s nice to talk about what we are going through, and have people who really understands and listen. I din’t talk to my manager because I just doesn’t want to create problems at work. I know I have their  support, but I really don’t think it’s a good idea. People are just mean sometimes, unfortunately I have the last result off my MRI and the tumour is back again. That’s why all the symptoms are coming back, and that’s why sometimes I just feel sick, and that’s wen some off colleagues think that I’m not capable to do my work. It’s nice to know that you are here for me, and for all off us. All the best for you too ?
  • NellyMaggie

I would like to thank you all, for your support it’s good to know that I have people who  can help me. The tumour it’s back again, that’s why sometimes I’m not feeling well. Unfortunately it’s to soon for the tumour apear again. My surgery was at the 5th off June. Four months ago. Iff they don’t stop doing what they’re doing I’m going to talk to the manager. All the best for all off you on the other day a friend said, “keep fitting you are stronger than all off this” I said this to all  who are struggling with health and work problems. Keep fitting don’t give up! ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    Hi @NellyMaggie and welcome to the community. Please let us know how the talk with your manager goes and if you need any more support or advice, please don't hesitate to ask!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear the tumour is back. I cant get over how cruel some folk can be. Hopefully Karma will get back at them someday. You take care xxx

Brightness