Advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice

angeldelight456
angeldelight456 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi my son was told he could wait 1 year and a half as he’d waited this long now aged 28 I then paid privately he was diagnosed with adhd and Asperger traits and dislexia not diagnosed I changed my doctors after that doctors comment this doctor said three months to wait for adhd referal to Cambridge after 4 months said 6-12 months I feel for my son after being in years of denial he said he’s slowly coming to terms he is in receipt of universal credit pip refused I can appeal ( who can help me fill in my sons pip forms ) after the private diagnosis asking what’s do I thinks beneficial to my son ie a diagnosis I thought adhd but I was wrong as people can work I’ve learnt his aspergers is more so needed and he needs a diagnosis I’ve cried on the phone to his doctor he even replied what is it you’d like I said a full assessment he replied an aspergers diagnosis I said yes even though ino he has this I rang the autism services in Cambridge they say a 2 year waiting list omg WHY DOES IT TAKE THIS LONG is this the right route I feel my sons doctor doesn’t have much knowledge eaither any help and advice would be so appreciated please 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

His GP needs to refer him for an ASD assessment. Unfortunately, waiting lists are extremely long in lot of areas.

Just so you know, you don't need a diagnosis, to claim PIP because that's not what it's about. PIP is awarded based on how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. This means being awarded will depend how your conditions affect your daily life.

When was the decision made on his PIP? was it recent? If it was within the last month then you need to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) For this you should write a letter stating where you think he should have scored those points and your reasons why. If the decision remains the same (most do) then it's Tribunal request after that.

You say he claims UC? Is he is in one of the groups for this LCW or LCWRA? has he sent in sick notes from his GP in the past?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    angeldelight456  
    You might like to have a look at "A Concise History of Asperger Syndrome: The Short Reign of a Troublesome Diagnosis" at 
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.02024/full , which may explain part of the reason for a delay as the UK medical professionals get up to date regarding what is now termed High Functioning Autism (HFA).
  • angeldelight456
    Hi thank you for that it was very interesting and yes that’s what my son was said to have traits of along with adhd but told up to 3 months to wait for a referral to Cambridge adhd then it was 6-12 months I said to the doctor your I thought adhd was beneficial to him but to me it’s the autism he replied what is it you’d like omg I replied your the professional not me I’m going to change my sons doctor as this one has no simpathy at all 
  • angeldelight456
    Is their anyone out their with aspergers and adhd that receive pip ?
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Hi @angeldelight456

There are multiple possible combinations of issues which can combine to be the underlying causes of Autism, and these possible multiple combinations of issues vary from one individual who is identified as having ASD to another individual identified as having ASD.  
    ADHD which as its own subtypes can be part of the possible combination of issues that can be part of an individuals ASD, as can issues such as the various types of Sensory Processing Disorders, Developmental Coordination Disorders (DCD) (previously known as dyspraxia), visual processing disorders, auditory processing disorders, and the possible list of issues goes on.  These issues go back to the problems of brain development between the ages of 1 - 3 years of age which can vary from one individual to another.
    International research is still trying to explain these issues and how they can effect each individual differently. 

I hope you get the support and understanding you and your son desperately need.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @angeldelight456, how are you doing?

PIP isn't about diagnosis, but how someones disability affects them. It would be very possible for someone with Aspergers and ADHD to claim, if they met the criteria. 

Here is the list of criteria. 
    Scope

• angeldelight456
    Thank you yes I understand that it is regarding the struggles in every day to day life etc 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @angeldelight456, I'm sorry to hear they do find things difficult on a daily basis. Did you manage to get a GP referral?
    Scope

Brightness