Universal or Pension credits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal or Pension credits

Seanchai
Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
This post is on behalf of my wife .i had so much help and understanding on my shift from DLA to PIP . I wondered if anyone can help with this question . .....??
My wife missed the old age pension when she turned 60 ,( she missed it by a few weeks)  so she never got it . Her pension calculator told her that she would receive pension in 6th January 2020 . She got a letter in about a month ago telling her that her pension was due to start on 6th of jan.2020 ...please do not leave it but claim it now . She went into the carers centre who told her to apply for pension credits . She went into the local jobcentre to apply for pension credits and the local jobcentre told her that she could not apply for pension credit but to apply for universal credit . Theyngave her a number to phone . The next day she phoned the number and they told her that she should apply through her local jobcentre . She went back in the following day only to be told she cannot claim pension credit as that has now stopped and she would need to claim universal credit ( she and i had our heads pickled by this time as i was also going through the change from dla to pip ) ...one person from DWP was telling us one thing and another person was telling us another thing . It ended up with the fella in the local jobcentre telling us to leave it until she was pension age ( she is at the moment my carer and she gets income support ) her income support and carers allowance will stop when she reaches 65 and six months on the 6th january . So we decided to leave it until she turned pension age . Tyreebdaysvago she got another letternfrom DWP telling her that her income support and carers allowance would stop on the 3rd january ....Please do not leave it until,them to claim pension credits ....then from the same day was another letter saying that she cannot claim pension credit but she might be able to claim universal credit ?she decided to go in to the CAB to see where she stood , they told her that she can claim pension credit but she should phone this number at DWP ...she came home and phoned that number to be told she cannot claim pension credit ( yet another change of rules) she then went into our lical jobcentre again and the girl said that " no wonder you are mixed up " and she phoned a number and waited onmthemphone for 40 minutes until she got through . The lady on the phone told her she cannot claim anything untilmshe is actually pension age  until she is pension age ...so the girl in the local jobcentrebtold my wife to come back in when she reached pension age and hopefully by then we will know what she can claim ...oh the reason the lady on the phone told her that was because i was not  pension age until january 2021 ....what a mix up . Can anyone advise if she can claim pension credit or universal credit when she turns pension age please . ? 
I live in Scotland and Scotland is taking care of its own finances in benefits next year 2020 .., i think were just born at the wrong time(mid  1950's) ?☹

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    HI,

I  remember you posted the same question a while ago regarding this and i answered your question here on your other thread.

Just to re-cap what i advised in the other thread. Because of the new rules for pension credit with mixed aged couples she can't apply for pension credit until you both reach state pension age. Whether the rules change in Scotland in 2020 i do not not know but for now, she can't claim it.

Her income support and carers allowance will continue until January. May i ask what benefit you claim for yourself, or do you claim Income support as a couple?

Once her Income support ends you will both need to claim UC. If you haven't already been assessed as having limited capability for work under ESA when a claim for UC starts you will need to send fit/sick notes from your GP to be able to claim for limited capability for work.

When you claim UC her state pension will be deducted £1 for £1 from the UC calculations. She will also be able to claim the carers element in with her monthly amount (£160.20)

If you're claiming housing benefit this will also transfer to UC. Your council tax reduction isn't part of UC and will continue through your local council.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Seanchai. It does sound like you've been passed from pillar to post, no wonder you're both confused!
    Unfortunately, as Poppy said the rules changed not too long ago meaning mixed-aged couples can't claim pension credit until both of them reached state pension age. 

Poppy has given some other great advice and if you're able to answer her questions about what other benefits you claim we'll hopefully be able tot advise you more. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Seanchai
    Hi guys , thanks for your answers ....my head is coming apart at the hinges ?
    I cannot remember ever asking about pension credits or universal Credit Poppy ....if i did i apologise . ..but to be honest , i might well have as we have spoke to at least 8 or 10 z( or more) people regarding our benefits in the last few months . 
    My benefits are DLA but i have been assessed by capita and the DWP awarded me enhanced benefits on PIP earlier this month. I am also on ESA ( which has been running since i was automatically tranfered from invalidity benefit to ESA in 2013 ...i have had no assessment for ESA in that time ( or ever had an assessment for ESA) The DWP has sent me a letter telling me i will be on enhanced benefit from PIP from 6th of November 2019 ) ...and my ESA will continue at the same rate . ( i am not of pension age until January 9th 2021 . ) so i believe things will change again then . 
    My wife claims income support and carers allowance and housing benefit ,  which of course her income support and cares benefit will cease on january when she reaches pension age . I know that the people of the DWP offices  the jobcentre plus offices and the advisers in the carers centre and Citizens Advice are feeling their way in the dark . The lady from the carers centre said that she cannot help my wife as she will not be a carer from january ....of course she will still be my carer but not receiving carers allowance ...that lady in the carers told my the wrong advice and actually told her that she would be entitled to pension credit when she reaches pension age ( as did one advisor in the jobcentre ). We have indeed been told different things from various groups ( including DWP , CAB , Carers , jobcentre plus various DWP numbers we have phoned ) ....thanks for your time and advice .
  • Seanchai
    edited October 2019
    Yep, i see i had posted in september about my wife's pension  Polly ....( Sorry) .... ee are nearly into November and we are no further forward about my wife,s benefits ( .at least i got PIP )The DWP sent my wife letters about ( they arrived on the same day ) and one letter told us the opposite of the other letter . We have been told ( in the last phonecall the other day ) to leave it until my wife goes on pension age then they will be able to tell her better . ?( although thr letters from DWP said not to leave it until the last minute to claim ) .
    I just wondered if anyone else had came through the same experience and how they got on ? 
    Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Please click this link and it will take you to the thread where you previously asked the question.

Your wife definitely can't claim pension credit because of the new rules for mixed aged couples.

As you're claiming Contributions based ESA then you'll remain on that because it's not part of UC. However, because UC is a means tested benefit you'll have to claim this as a couple once your wife's Income support ends. Once you claim UC then your housing benefit will stop after 2 weeks and transfer across to UC and be paid as the housing element of UC.

As you're in the Support Group for ESA then you'll be given LCWRA for UC which is an extra £336 per month. On top of that you'll also receive the couples standard allowance which is £498.89 as well as the carers element which is £160.20 and your rent. BUT then your ESA and your wife's state pension will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payment. UC is paid as 1 monthly payment with your first payment 5 weeks after your claim started.

If you rent your home privately then you'll need a tenancy agreement to be able to claim the housing element but if you rent from social housing you won't this.

No fit notes will be needed because you're already in the support group for ESA.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Her claim for state pension should be done no later than 2 months before.
  • Seanchai
    edited October 2019
    Thank you so much Poppy ....it will take a day or two to get our heads around it all ...my wife asked about her pension and they told her( through a letter from DWP )  that her state pension starts on 6th January 2020 and how much she would get weekly £144 a week .( but she cannot remember if she actually claimed her pension ) ? ....with going through pip and then pension claim and losing carers allowance and income support when her pension is due its been non stop forms and applications . 
    Thanks again poppy , our heads are pickled... and we will take our time going through your excellent (detailed)answers to our benefit problems 
    Thank you so much ?
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome. As she's received a letter telling her when it's starting and how much then she's obviously claimed it but you can't remember.

All these benefits are indeed very confusing, unless you understand them and few people do.

Remember that when you do claim UC she will be able to claim the carers element of this because you don't need to claim carers allowance to be able to claim this.

Also, when you do claim UC if you need further advice then please do just ask and i'm sure someone will help you with any questions you have.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad Poppy has been able to help you with this @Seanchai. It is very confusing and the new rules for mixed-aged couples has only complicated things further. 
    If there's anything you're still unclear on or you need more advice please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Seanchai
    edited October 2019
    Thank you Adrian ... i have explained to my wife and now she is more confused than ever hahahahaha ....only joking ( a bit) ...Yep, thank god that Scope has someone to explain things , i joined another site before i claimed for PIP  ( that cost me £20) but to be honest , i think 'Scope' is better . I just felt i should join the BW site just to maybe give myself a better chance of getting through my assessment and being awarded PIP ...but they never really told me anything that Scope had not already told me .
    Thanks to all at 'Scope' it was so good to talk to someone ( Poppy explained everything for PIP and also explained everything for UC and Pensions for my wife and i )... for that we are eternally grateful .??
    Ps . No doubt we will have other things crop up between now and my wife,s pension in january ...but i know where to come .?
  • poppy123456
    @Seanchai it's always my pleasure to advise anyone that needs it here on the scope community. Thank you for your kinds words, they are very much appreciated. :)
  • Seanchai
    Hi Poppy , it turned out my wife had never signed up for her pension at the beginning of theyear , she had asked for a statement to show how much she can get . She phoned DWP yesterday and the fella said it was to early and she should phone back in two or three weeks time ....once again , that is not what it says on any letters she recieved from DWP ...infact its the opposite from what the DWP letters tell her " Claim your state pension now and don,t leave it to the last moment to claim ☹
  • poppy123456
    She can claim online as well as over the phone. See link. https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-to-claim

• Seanchai
    I will have a look at that Poppy ...Thanks .
     I know she prefers to talk face to face with people about these things but of course thats happening less and less . I,m not saying my wife is has computerphobia ....but she watches programmes on tv like "Fake Britain" and will never trust computers . Her bank was wanting her to go on phone banking but of course watching various programmes has put her off that completely  ?☹

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.