Pip assesment waiting time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assesment waiting time

Deoneemily17
Deoneemily17 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I phoned on 15th of July to start my pip claim, I got my text saying they had received my pip2 form back on the 4th of September and it’s still being decided by the assessment providers (ias) if I they need a f2f or they can get enough information to make a decision. I understand there is back log right now but is this all within a normal timescale currently? I claimed for my ptsd depression and severe anxiety. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no timescales for anything, it depends on backlog in your area. Most people have face to face assessments so i'd advise to expect this and then if one isn't needed it's a bonus. Waiting times can be anything from a few weeks to several months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lvlama
    lvlama Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    Hi @Deoneemily17
    More likely you'll have f2f assessment. If you suffering from PTSD then I'd advise to prepare yourself for this assessment. Seek information online, and make notes, what says people, who already had it. It will be very beneficial. Good luck to you! 
  • Deoneemily17
    Deoneemily17 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I was thinking I’d have a f2f they have told me on the phone that they have my Cpn down as a contact for information and they said this is usually good as they can get the information from them without the need of a f2f but I do know these people say a lot things that don’t necessarily end up being true! All help and advice is appreciated it’s a long process of uncertainties and worry.
  • lvlama
    Unfortunately it is. Don't let anything or anybody let you down! In some points it will be difficult and hard. I hope you have family/friends who will support you all the way! But you must fight! For yourself and for others in same situation! I been fighting for 58 weeks regarding my PIP.. And you know what? I Hope this will give you more strength and hope - 2 days ago I have won my tribunal hearing against DWP!
    Please seek help everywhere you can! Don't be like me. I did everything by myself and it is very hard.
    This forum is the best what I ever have seen! They'll help at any stage. I truly believe in that!

Kind regards
  • mandymo
    mandymo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi, I waited a long time for my f2f ( approx 5 months ) for my renew of PIP. The assessment was very rushed and the assessor barely looked at me while she typed in her laptop. The results came back 16 weeks later and the summary full of inaccuracies and things I hadn't said. Results - mobility which I already had but nothing else. Decided to do mandatory reconsideration with every point cross referenced to fact, knowing only approx 9% successful at this stage but necessary before appeal. Another 20 week wait then got results - I had somehow got 8 more points and so qualified for daily living and mobility on going.
    Back dated by only 4 months though. Don't let them grind you down and be prepared to be assertive and fight for what you deserve. The whole system seems to try and put you off and the growing waiting times and lame excuses are appalling. In my experience poorly trained assessors too who haven't actually read your information properly. My assessor made the mistake in telling me at lunchtime that I was her last one so she had a nice short day and long weekend. I wish I'd recorded the interview!!
    You need to make sure everything is backed up by written evidence from healthcare providers they will try and wriggle out of as much as they can without evidence even though it is obvious to see at a f2f.
  • lvlama
    In my case, Capita assessor barely looked at me too. But I was very lucky to have my support worker with me. So I had witness.

Actually I think there should be video/ voice recording on F2F assessment. It will be huge time saving for all - DWP, tribunal and person who is ill. And it'll made all assessors more careful and responsible of they job.

I'm suffering of DDD (degenerative disc disease) and arthritis (very unusual illness for only 43 y/o). So my problem is in back pain, numbness/weakness in my left leg, muscle atrophy. In my decision letter, assessor have stated, that I had stroke!!!! and have problems with my right knee!!!!! In this example you can see, how "careful" assessors are!

Also one point, what judge found absolutely unacceptable, that DWP or/and assessor wasn't in contact with my GP at any point, to confirm my illness. After I receive my first rejection, I asked my GP about it. She said nobody been in contact with her. What's looks very suspicious for me, because nobody else know patient better than family doctors, who is with patient from very first day of illness. This should be as 1st point for any decision making. And I think, DWP don't contact with GP's only because they're be forced to accept illness. Instead, they're avoiding this step, rejecting applications in hope people will be too broke to complain. They're told by government, to reject everything as much is possible. We're just NIN numbers for them. And I truly believe in that.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Your GP will know all about your medical conditions but only you can answer how your disability affects you carrying out the PIP descriptors as he does not live with you .
    A doctor's report alone will not get you PIP
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @lvlama - I'm a bit confused when you say, "I think, DWP don't contact with GP's only because they're be forced to accept illness"

Surely in most cases your diagnosis isn't in dispute - what is more likely to be at issue is the functional effect that any condition has on the individual. Isn't the reason that a 
    doctor isn't contacted is because there is no need - the evidence that a claimant has submitted is sufficient.

As @markyboy says ....only you can say how your condition affects you..
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2019
    @lvlama are you sure a judge said this to you? what judge found absolutely unacceptable, that DWP or/and assessor wasn't in contact with my GP at any point, to confirm my illness?

A medical professional is very rarely contacted by DWP the health assessment providers or HMCTS for any medical evidence. I'm afraid the onus is on the claimant to prove they qualify, not anyone else's.

A GP very rarely knows how your conditions affect you and a letter from them isn't the best evidence to send to support a claim either.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lvlama
    Then how you'd explain fact, that as only one evidence of my illness available for assessor, was hospital report about my last scan? How assessor can make decision based on that? Did GP report will be more useful? 

And because this, important part, of evidences was missing, and didn't been attached to case, they made my DDD as a stroke (I never had one in my life!)
  • poppy123456
    lvlama said:
    Then how you'd explain fact, that as only one evidence of my illness available for assessor, was hospital report about my last scan? How assessor can make decision based on that?
    As advised, the onus is on you to prove you qualify and not theirs.
  • lvlama
    @poppy123456 yes I am sure. Because there was no evidences at all about my illness. In decision letter was stated about my stroke, what I never had. Any claim must be supported with medical evidences. Why it's called medical assessment then?
  • poppy123456
    There can't be evidence if you don't send it. They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, that's the claimants responsibility to make sure it's sent.
  • lvlama
    I do understand. But still I believe it is wrong. It is medical examinations. GP have to be involved somehow.
  • Linda6666
    Linda6666 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hello.
    I applied for my pip in June,  I have had my assessment ( she told a bunch of lies ) , I got my dession back giving me standard care and 0 mobility, so I sent for mandatory reconsideration , got that back still same care but standard mobility,  now it's at tribunal because I feel I need enhanced mobility, mandatory reconsideration said that if I can drive I don't have anxiety because it takes a lot of brain power to drive . They are refusing me points on following a un familiar journey alone ( I cannot do this ) so I am going to tribunal because if they take my car they will take any independence that I have . 

I got points for only able to walk a short distance then they seem to think I can walk to a bus stop , then get off at the other end only to have to walk about quarter mile to  my mum's,  then do it all again to go home , it doesn't make sense to me .
    But they were quick with my claim.  
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I'm glad to hear your MR was successful @mandymo, congratulations! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @linda6666 - when you say that you need a car just be careful that you base your appeal around the 'mobility' descriptors, and which you think apply to you.

Driving a car isn't part of this, nor is using the bus if I remember correctly...

Good luck ...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.