Pip review — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip review

mitchey10
mitchey10 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi. I hope im ok to ask this question. My husband has been on PIP since he had his kidney transplant in Jan 2017, well he was awarded it in the March.  He has been sent a review assessment,  i was wondering if someone could tell me that if his assessment is not approved, and he loses it, does this mean that his payment of PIP will stop straight or will it carry on to the date that its due to finish which is march 2020. 
Many Thanks 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Its quite likely that it will take until well into the new year to get a decision after the assessment, especially with the xmas/new year breaks.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

He'll most likely need another face to face assessment and there's no timescales for this. Once a decision is eventually made, if he's not awarded his PIP payments will stop.

If he's awarded then he'll receive a new award date and payments will continue.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mitchey10
    Thanks for the quick reply.  The face to face, would that what his review assessment is on the 4th November,? And after that, if hes not awarded the PIP, will it stop or go to March as we were informed in the first letter when he was awarded it.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2019
    I'm assuming that appointment on 4th November would be his PIP assessment but you'll need to look at the letter to know for sure. Once that assessment is completed, a report will be returned to DWP and a decision will be made on his claim. If he's not successfully awarded, his payments will stop and they won't continue until March.

If he's successfully awarded he'll receive a new award date and his payments will continue with the new award, what ever that may be.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mitchey10
    My husband has just said that he rung what im assuming is PIP and the woman he spoke to was sure that his claim would go to March if he is turned down,  so still a little confused but thank you for information.  
  • poppy123456
    As usual the advice given by a person on the phone from DWP is completely incorrect i'm afraid. They read from a screen and very often give completely incorrect advice and are not the people to go to for any advice.

The advice i've given you is 100% correct, if he's not awarded once the decision is made his PIP will not continue until March because the new decision will override the previous decision.

Hopefully he'll be awarded successfully and his payments will not stop, he'll just be give a new award length of time.
  • poppy123456
    I'm going to tag admin who will confirm my advice is correct but this will most likely be tomorrow morning as i'm sure they will have finished for the day today.

@Adrian_Scope @Chloe_Scope i'm sorry to bother you but i'd appreciate it if you could confirm that my advice is correct please.
  • mitchey10
    Thank you very much 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @mitchey10 and a warm welcome to the community.

It’s very common to be reviewed between 6 months and a year before a current award ends.

Unfortunately the advice given by @poppy123456 is correct. If they decide  not to award him after his assessment in November, his PIP payments will stop and won’t continue until March, as the new decision overrides the old one. 

Equally if an award was to increase after a review, you wouldn’t have to wait until the end of the previous award period to receive the increase. 

I hope that makes sense but please let us know if we can help with anything else or you have any further questions. 

Best of luck to you and your husband.

Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Thank you @Adrian_Scope very much for confirming my advice was indeed correct, especially at this time of the evening.
  • mitchey10
    Thank you very much for your quick response.  Just another question if thats ok, his appointment being the 4th November,  his payment due i think the 20th, would it be that quick for them to make a decision,  before his next payment date.  I really appreciete your information 
  • poppy123456
    There's no timescales for decisions, backlogs is just part of the reason a decision can be delayed. It's impossible to answer that question i'm afraid.

My longest wait for a decision has been 6 weeks and my shortest is 5 days after a PIP assessment.
  • mitchey10
    Okay thanks for your useful information,  at least we know what to expect,  even at the worse scenario. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Good luck!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry I missed this @poppy123456, glad things could be cleared up! Best of luck @mitchey10!
    Scope

• poppy123456
    @Chloe_Scope no worries, it was after you finished work and i didn't expect a reply from anyone until this morning.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.