Travelling abroad on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Travelling abroad on PIP

sky
sky Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My only family ( father and sister ) are relocating to Spain and I would like to visit when possible. Does anyone know how the system works about the legality of receiving benefits whilst spending some time in Spain etc ? I have looked on line but it seems extremely vague and flawed... setting one up for a whole load of hassle should it not been done correctly etc etc

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sky welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the Ask a benefits advisor category so you can get some more information on this.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I found this information for you on the gov website.

Benefits for carers and people with disabilities

Going abroad temporarily

You can claim the following benefits if you’re going abroad for up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeks if it’s for medical treatment):

You can carry on claiming Carer’s Allowance if you take up to 4 weeks holiday out of a 26-week period.

Tell the office that deals with your benefit that you’ll be away.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

sky, if you are planning to visit your family for short trips then this shouldn't be a problem. As Sam says, you can continue to get your PIP for 13 weeks. You do need to inform the office that deals with your benefit. It shouldn't be any problem, if you are going for trips of this length or less, and it is definitely a temporary visit.

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

• plasfron
    plasfron Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    It is rather vague. Just to confirm, is this 13 weeks abroad - either in one go or totalling 13 - in any one year or periods of 13 weeks irrespective of total in any one year? Presumably, if one moves abroad permanently the benefit would stop? Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    plasfron said:
    It is rather vague. Just to confirm, is this 13 weeks abroad - either in one go or totalling 13 - in any one year or periods of 13 weeks irrespective of total in any one year? Presumably, if one moves abroad permanently the benefit would stop? Thanks.
    Hi,

This is an old thread from 2.5 years ago but to answer your question it depends what benefits you claim. If you have a specif question for yourself you'll be better off starting a thread of your own with your details and someone will happily answer, i'm sure.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.