Who gets judged for who they are as a person - having a disability and/or mental illness? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who gets judged for who they are as a person - having a disability and/or mental illness?

Options
LovingJo
LovingJo Community member Posts: 6 Connected
I'd love to know your experiences, because mine are really not great and would love some perspective on everyone else in similar positions 

Who gets judged for who they are as a person - having a disability and/or mental illness? 6 votes

Yes, all the time/I have no one
33%
gaz1960LovingJo 2 votes
Yes, until I explain my situation
16%
April2018mom 1 vote
Sometimes - but that's humans today
16%
Ails 1 vote
No, I don't get judged for who I am/what's wrong with me
0%
I don't care what people think /other I'll explain below
33%
Richard_Scope66Mustang 2 votes

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, until I explain my situation
    Until I explain, no one understands. I’ve resorted to pulling my son’s chair out now. But I have my partner. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LovingJo! Thank you for sharing an interesting question with us.
    Scope

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Options
    I get judged all of the time, as I find myself having to 'excuse' my inabilities due to my illness & disabilities to those who do not know me. I also have to begin any event if/when my son is present, to excuse His behaviour due to his autism. 'Most' people are understanding an acceptable once they've been made aware, but it can never be taken for granted, and of course not all disabilities are visual or noticeable. 
  • LovingJo
    Options
    Hi there, Thanks for your messages guys and thank you for welcoming me. I really hope to be an asset to this community, because this is something I'm very passionate about!
    I have a number of illnesses that affect me, many of which are invisible and people are so ignorant to these kind of things - especially when I'm not in my chair, and try and walk etc.
    But having mental illnesses as well can make it very difficult in communication.. no matter how intelligent I am, I have some "emotional instabilities" on some subjects and I don't always "play by the rules" that Society thinks its "normal".
    It isn't as if I go crazy about stuff, it's just the fact that I have a higher expectation in things that I can't let go of certain things that I feel are unjust,or if I don't understand... and people don't get that. ??
  • stod
    stod Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I am batshit crazy half the time.l'm an older woman and you realise that people on the whole are very tolerant.Because l have a few health problems ,l get low and at times can be truly vile and  horrible.Some people forgive what is unforgivable some people don't and you just have to live with it.
  • LovingJo
    Options
    Your much luckier than myself then Stod
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Autism is Fashionable, every other child seems to be assessed for it and ADHD.
    Wind the clock back 35 plus years- it wasn't understood and disability needed to be an arm or leg missing or severely limited capacity.
    Personally the best way is to keep mouth shut and ask neutral questions if you must and let others talk or bore you to death.

I don't see telling people as a bonus,  more a reason your get grief 
  • stod
    Options
    Oh loving Jo,that's awful.Yes the people who don't accept things are there but you can't let it stop you doing things or being you.Some people can be cruel and judgemental and it's hard for family members too because you can lash out and they can be judged too but there are lots of kind people in the world and you have to keep trying despite knockbacks.
  • stod
    edited October 2019
    Options
    While breath hope.I guess it is a very misunderstood condition.It's sensible just to tell people you know you can trust but l  guess it's also tempting to explain how you see things from your perspective( lt is  with a lot of disabilities).As far as l'm aware,l don't have autism but l do have an illness that makes me behave in a way people don't understand at times .Everythings out in the open now and within my community and some people are kind ,some aren't or just ignore you because they don't know what to say and meds  l take which can be used with autism too can be blunting and have a lot of side effects.
  • stod
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Autism is a condition that is commonly diagnosed and sometimes wrongly diagnosed because social anxiety isn't just related to autism and sensitivity is a strength as well as a burden. A diagnosis may help or may not and l'm aware autism has a spectrum as does mental illness and things can overlap and cross over.
  • stod
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Whatever your condition,autism or mental health,or  both it can be tempting to hide away through negative experiences but you should still try to live and enjoy life.
  • stod
    Options
    Or a combination of both of course.
  • stod
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I was aloof through anxiety and also some paranoia about having  depression and feeling different from other young people which unfortunately snowballed as l had a condition which declined partially due to circumstances and with age.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Autism is Fashionable, every other child seems to be assessed for it and ADHD.
    Wind the clock back 35 plus years- it wasn't understood and disability needed to be an arm or leg missing or severely limited capacity.
    Personally the best way is to keep mouth shut and ask neutral questions if you must and let others talk or bore you to death.

I don't see telling people as a bonus,  more a reason your get grief 
    My son's diagnosis as being Autistic occurred during the early 1990's which also coincided with the many parents who just like myself are 100% certain that the MMR vaccination was the major contributor to our children's condition. I will never think differently and nothing would persuade me otherwise.

It is true that Autistic Spectrum Disorder does seem to have increased in terms of the amount of children that have been diagnosed in more recent times. However, these conditions were relatively misunderstood 30 or more years ago, but many people would have had this disorder prior to that and without any idea or the medical knowledge etc. ASD is still misunderstood in terms of what may or may not cause it or if medical intervention can help. No two people are the same, and this can also be said for those that have or have been diagnosed with this exceptionally challenging condition.

If I may add, it is relatively easy these days to test the immunity level by having a blood test. I truly believe that ALL children should be routinely checked for this, before they receive ANY so-called 'preventive vaccination.'  One simple blood test could prevent any possibility of a reaction against these routinely given vaccinations to every child, now and in the future.   
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Options
    Spent half my life being told what I couldn't do or being exploited. 
    I still feel people like to frame issues or exploit/monetize them.

For me not a badge of pride or special exemption-more a fewer people know the better 
  • stod
    Options
    Sending lots of love your way.xxx

Brightness