Do you wash your hands? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you wash your hands?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
'Handwashing with soap is an easy, effective, affordable do-it-yourself practice that prevents infections and saves lives.'
A person washing their hands.
Washing your hands helps prevent the spread of disease, bacteria and allergens. It's a low-cost and effective method of retaining personal hygiene and as the father of a child with severe anaphylactic allergies, it has become second-nature for me to wash my hands constantly throughout the day. However, on this Global Handwashing Day, we're asking: is it something you find easy to do? Does it cause you discomfort? Are you guilty of giving the sink the cold shoulder after a visit to the toilet? Do you prefer hand wash or bars of soap? Let us know in the comments below!
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I carry around handgel with me for work. 
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    I always wash my hands, but am allergic to all soaps and so I only use a prescribed cream. Unfortunately this also extends to most washing powders which can affect my hands when I dry them. When ever I use public toilets I ALWAYS let my self out by using paper upon the door handle too. Handles on supermarket trolleys are also awash with germs and I doubt that many even think about them. I do, and particularly if I know there are cases of flu or colds about. However, they say that there can be as many germs on a used towel as there are on your hands and none of us can be 100% sterile wherever we are. Some bacteria are healthy, but f course you cannot see of tell which ones are not! 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Up until about 1960 it was fairly common practice to only have a bath once a week, or twice if it was for a special occasion.  Handwashing was always done using a bar of soap and always after using the toilet.  Although standards of hygiene have vastly improved have we now gone too far the other way and no longer have our built-in resistance to germs and viruses?  We all seem to be more vulnerable to attack from any type of bacteria. I still prefer a good old-fashioned bar of soap over the vast amount of throwaway plastic pumped gels that have taken over.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Looks like I’m the first to say, yes, too much due to OCD!
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I`ve recently gone back to using a bar of soap for hand washing. Everything else makes my hands sore!
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    I buy hand gel and antiseptic hand wash. It is horrible some of the things you can pick up off escalators and buses. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Some interesting responses guys. Thank you!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, I always wash my hands as I'm a bit paranoid about germs!  I prefer hand wash to soap myself simply because I prefer the scent.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    Hello @Adrian_Scope   Good to hear this.

I know my own issues are always washing hands after food preparation.  Run a sink with hot water on standby to wash hands.

Have soap pumps and use them frequently. Sensitive skin types.

Also sterile, clean every where. Hygienic 

Have to be.

Bacteria is a problem in our homes if you not clean or sterile. 

Be aware of cleaning after using any raw meat.  Scrub kitchen tops use a anti bacterial spray and clean dispose of the cloths or wipes.

You can buy on line gloves made from thin material to cook with.  Comes in packs.

Saves washing hands.  Every time. Dispose of gloves. Unfortunately myself going through a box a month not cheap.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    I wash hands with soap and water and use sleeve to open door etc after.
    Door handles on toilets make me cringe 

Brightness