esa and cohabiting — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

esa and cohabiting

India123
India123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I currently receive ESA in support group.  age 58,  Also PIP standard on both elements.  I am going to be moving in with my partner who is retired.  How will my ESA be affected.  Partner only receives a private pension as is under normal retirement age (56). Do i just notify DWP of change of address or do i have to explain my circumstances.  Can i continue to claim my ESA as a single claim ?    thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This will depend on whether your ESA is. If it's all Income Related , Contributions based or contributions based with an income related top up.

If it's all Income Related then your partners pension will be counted as income and reduce your ESA £1 for £1 and you won't be able to continue your ESA claim as a single person. Means tested benefits mean you claim as a couple.

If it's Contributions based with an income related top up then you'll be able to keep the Contributions based part but you'll lose the income related top up.

Does your partner claim housing benefit for help with the rent? If your partner claims single person council tax reduction then they will lose this when you move in.

All changes need to be reported when you move in with your partner.

Your PIP isn't means tested and won't be affected. You both should really speak to an advice agency near you for a full benefits check, this will you'll be able to tell them all your circumstances and they will be able to advise you correctly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • India123
    India123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    yes its all income related.   once i inform them and tell them the date the change of circumstances is will that mean all ESA will stop.  Partners pension is 1300 a month, but he is also single parent to an 11 year old? and he rents privately.   thanks
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hi @India123

I'm certain that somebody here will advise you, but I also suggest that you do inform the DWP about this change with your circumstances. I don't 'think' it will affect your ESA payments, however I would imagine that they will take into consideration your partners income and or His/Her savings etc. Sorry that I cannot assist you more with this, and I send you my best wishes for your future with your partner.    
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Based on that pension amount then i'm afraid you won't be entitled to any Income related ESA and it will all stop when you move in with your partner.

Is your partner claiming child tax credits? If they are then because you're moving in then this will also stop because you'll be classed as a couple and new claims for tax credits are no longer possible. This means that you'll have to claim Universal credit as a couple.

When claiming UC because it's a means tested benefit then the pension will also be classed as income and be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC you maybe entitled to.

If you claim UC as a couple then the housing benefit will stop and transfer to UC and be paid as 1 monthly payment.

I'd advise to either put both of your details into a benefit's calculator and see what it comes up with or visit an advice agency near you. A benefits calculator is only good if the information you put in is correct.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @India123, welcome to the community!

Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.