Struggling with a violent adhd autistic child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Struggling with a violent adhd autistic child

Options
Tracyr20144
Tracyr20144 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I'm new here I'm really struggling with my daughter shes 10 but mentally 3 I have no support and social services and Chad have said I'm doing all I can and nothing they csn help us with ciams won't medicate her she barely sleeps abd is violent to me and my so x

Comments

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Traceyr20144

I am sorry to hear this, have you ever contacted the National Autistic Society?
    https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/challenging-behaviour.aspx

Have a look at the getting support section on the page.

There is also the Challenging Behaviour charity which offers advice and support:
    https://www.challengingbehaviour.org.uk/contact/

Let us know if this information is useful and how you get on.

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Tracy ...I am so sorry to hear about your struggles with your daughter ...my grandson was very violent from about 8 years to 12 years old ( until he went to high school ) and he calmed right down with his violence ...my grandson cannot talk or no motor skills , he cannot read or write ( he is now 15  and a very different boy in his behaviour ) I do not know how my daughter coped with our grandson, he would come home from school and wreck his room and then start in the rest of the house ...he was very violent and punched and kicked my daughter and his bigger sister . My daughter had to fight for everything she got for our grandson . 
    I hope and pray that your daughters violent episodes stop . 
    I felt that my daughter wad left to " get on with it " she has a social worker but social works are like all government bodies , struggling to keep up with their work load ...if my daughter saw her social worker once a year , that would be it ....they said she was coping well and just left her to get on with it . Which she has done to her best ability ....god knows how she had coped ...my grandson calmed down a lot when he went to high school ...he still cannot talk( apart from an odd word which is sometimes very hard for us to understand at times ) he cannot read or write but he is learning to use his school computer to help him throughout the day . He won a prize for his numerical skills ...and he knows everybody by their date of birth , he never knows names but when he meets anyone for the first time ( from teachers to delivery guys ) he knows them all by their date of birth ....its a bit embarrassing when he meets someone new and asks their date of birth ...we have to explain why he wants their date of birth hahahaha.  He remembers everyone's date of birth ...even when our friends send him a birthday card , they say (" happy birthday from 7:5:64 " )or whatever their date of birth is. 
    If you can cope with your daughter for another couple of years Tracy , i'm sure she will calm down . I know how hard it is and i pray for you meantime ....if you have any questions you feel i could help with then i will answer as best and as honestly as i can.
    God Bless you and your family . 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,939 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Tracyr20144.
    It sounds like you're in a really difficult situation. Hopefully some of the suggestions made will help, but I'm also going to tag in @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors as they might be able to suggest something.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @traceyrhodes. Welcome to Scope! 

As @M_Anthony has suggested, contacting the NAS is a good idea. Have you applied for DLA for her or not? You can use the money to improve her quality of life. If you need help filling out the form, you can contact your local Citizen’s Advice and ask to talk with a benefits advisor.
    What about a squeeze ball? That might help her not to stress so easily. I am tagging @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors because they might have other useful tips and suggestions that are worth trying out with her. I know this is a cliche but hang in there. 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I'm new here I'm really struggling with my daughter shes 10 but mentally 3 I have no support and social services and Chad have said I'm doing all I can and nothing they csn help us with ciams won't medicate her she barely sleeps abd is violent to me and my so x
    @M_Anthony has provided good information. My advice is to contact Citizen’s Advice to see if they can help with your application for DLA. I am tagging @SparkleSheffieldAutismAdvisors as they might have more useful tips and recommendations for you to try. There is a book which is called through the eyes of me written by Jon Robert that is about a 4 year child with autism. 

Have you asked the local council for support? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tracyr20144 how are you getting on at the moment? :)
    Scope

• Sarah_Scope
    Sarah_Scope Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Hi Tracey, I'm sorry to hear that your struggling but you've come to the right place. Hopefully you'll find the information and support provided above useful, but you might also find this helpful as sleep can have a huge impact on everything else. Also, if you're not able to get the sleep you need yourself, that can have a huge impact on your ability to cope with all the other challenges https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/help-disabled-child-sleep/#Scopes-sleep-services
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Welcome to the community @SPuddle! Great to have you here. :)
    Scope

• liaelizibeth
    liaelizibeth Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited October 2019
    Options
    hi tracy i’m 19 and have autism and i went through exactly this. if you want any advice please email me [removed by moderator]. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @liaelizibeth and a very welcome to the community! Unfortunately we do not allow members to provide email addresses on the community. You are more than welcome to chat with members on here and once you have posted enough comments (to receive 25 points) you can private message people. :) 
    Scope

Brightness