Hello, another newbie here! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello, another newbie here!

RavenX
RavenX Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all,

I'm Rachel, you're welcome to call me that ?

I have multiple health conditions both physical and mental.

I have had depression and anxiety diagnosed since I was 13, followed by bipolar 2 around 19. They changed that to emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD) at around 21. I had a mental breakdown in 2012/13 which led to me eventually losing my job and triggering off the development of fibromyalgia, diagnosed a year later. 
I have recently been diagnosed with sensory peripheral neuropathy in my hands and feet, as a symptom of the fibro. 
I have chronic migraines, at one point I had a migraine every day, but thankfully with two meds I am now down to around 4 or 5 a month. They are debilitating and if I get one that's the end of my day. I just can't do a thing.
I also have degenerative disc disease along with 3 ruptured discs in my lumbar spine, meaning I need two crutches to walk thanks to the muscle spasms causing extreme pain. Also I have sciatica in my left leg right down to my toes, but again thanks to the right meds it is pretty well controlled now, only flaring up when I've aggravated my back. 

I haven't worked since Feb 2013, and while my mental health has improved a little since then, my physical has declined, so I'm probably not going to be going back to work any time soon. It is my number one goal in life to return to work, and I have every intention of doing so, but my health has to come first.

I keep myself occupied (when I'm not asleep - I usually sleep for around 15 hours a day thanks to the concoction of sedating meds I'm on) by drawing and painting, colouring Johanna Basford books, bullet journaling, looking after my two guinea pigs, reading, tending to my collection of houseplants, and most recently co-running a mental health peer support group on Facebook called Rise & Shine Preston.

Widespread pain, fatigue, and my emotion dysregulation (thanks to EUPD) are my worst symptoms and cause me the most problems.

I fought with myself for a long time over calling myself disabled, as in my head it felt like giving in to the illnesses, admitting defeat. But now I see that it doesn't mean that, it just means that I admit I need extra help with some things, just like I need glasses to see, or the surgery on my wrists when I got carpal tunnel syndrome. 
None of what I am experiencing is my fault, and while it is negatively affecting my life, i am taking responsibility to try and counteract that by doing all that I can in terms of joining communities like this, going to groups, doing my physio and taking my meds, and so on. 

Sorry, that was rather longer than I planned, well done if you read through to the end, ten points to you!
Feel free to comment or to message me, I'm always good for a chat, but just give me extra time to reply, cause I will probably be asleep!

RavenX  /  Rachel
And still, I rise.

Comments

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    Hello I have the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, a diagnosis of broken and they don’t really know how to fix it.
  • Strandman
    Strandman Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello, 
    I'm a 69 year old newbie .
    I'm married  (40+yrs) & my wife helps/supports me as best she can.
    At this time I suffer from COPD , Colorectal Cancer and now chronic back pain. I applied for PIP (DLA when I applied ) & now receive the high rate of PIP payment.  I was assessed and was awarded my payment. At that time I was using a crutch but now use a wheelchair for getting around. 
    My family now assist me whenever I need help &/or a shoulder to cry on if ever I feel down.
    Before I retired I tried to keep myself active Cycling (an average of 7000 miles a year),walking when I was able.  I do miss being active but that's due to my mobility & COPD.
    I am going to , if possible, support campaigns for the disabled,  by which both hidden & visible disabilities.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @RavenX (or Rachel) and welcome to the community. You sound like you have a lot going on, but I'm glad you found us and you're more than welcome to get involved. We're a friendly bunch, so if you have any queries or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch or ask away!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @RavenX (Rachel) and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I enjoyed reading your introduction.  Glad to hear that throughout all of your health struggles, you are keeping your spirits up and tackling things head on!  It sounds as though you are a busy lady!   You will find the Community to be a lovely, supportive space and anytime that you feel like a chat there will always be someone to chat to.  I have made many friends on here since I joined and I am sure you will too.  I hope you enjoy your time with us anyway and look forward to seeing you on the forum.  As @Adrian_Scope has already said, if there is anything we can help you with then please just ask.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Strandman and welcome also to the Community!  It is nice to meet you too and thank you also for sharing with us.  It is great to have you on board and I hope you enjoy your time with us.  I'm sure also that you will make a valuable contribution to our Community.  Please feel free to look around the forum and join in any of the discussions that you fancy.  You will find lots of lovely, friendly people on here.  I look forward to seeing you on the forum.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness