Stopping and starting work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stopping and starting work

kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
As i am on esa support group and get lonely and sad at home i am considering working however if i start and stop a job then go back on benefits would i lose my benefits if i lost my job? As i have bpd (emotionally unstable personality disorder) losing my job is highly likely to happen so i need to make sure i would still get any benefit again after losing a job otherwise i would basically be homeless

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @kami24. You could look into 'Permitted work' under ESA which would mean your benefits continue even while you're working so you can see how you'd get on. 
    There's some information about this here: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/working-while-getting-esa/
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,334 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Do be aware that if you do decide to try permitted work, if the work you do goes against the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be reassessed early and it could go against you once the decision is made.

You must also fill out the PW1 form before starting work.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kami24
    Yeah permitted work is different anyway to any job but I guess people do work and claim tax credits with ordinary /non permitted supported work 
  • poppy123456
    What makes you think permitted work is any different to any other job?

It's not, it's the same. Providing you work less than 16 hours per week and don't earn anymore than £131.50 per week after deductions you keep all your existing benefits. All details in the link Adrian posted above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kami24
  • poppy123456
    Permitted work can be paid or voluntary. Have you read the link that was posted above?
  • kami24
    I think disabled people still work though and claim working tax credits to be honest and it doesn't have to be permitted 
  • kami24
    I have read alot 
  • poppy123456
    Yes of course disabled people still work and claim working tax credits but doing permitted work will at least let you see if you can do some work without your benefits being affected.

Have you also put your details into a benefits calculator? You may not be entitled to full housing benefit if you work, it will depend on how much you'll be earning. You also need to be working more than 16 hours per week to claiming working tax credits.

Permitted working doing less than 16 hours means you can keep all of your existing benefits, providing the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming ESA.

Weren't you claiming JSA not that long ago and couldn't cope so claimed ESA? We may think we can work but when we try it, it may not be as easy as you think it is.

• WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Volunteer would be my suggestion, ask about this prior to anything else- you don't want to be in position I'm in
  • kami24
    Yep I'm not sure about working at all but in the future need to try to do something otherwise I will feel even worse
  • kami24
    Mentally I cannot work too much though so maybe permitted work is an option 
  • poppy123456
    kami24 said:
    This is exactly why permitted work is there so you can at least try it and see how you cope. You will need to contact DWP and fill out a form whether it's paid or voluntary.
  • WhileIBreathIHope
    WhileIBreathIHope Posts: 216 Pioneering
    kami24 said:
    Small incremental steps, I went to housebound and stitched by DWP- every day is hard ,but I’m not being monitored or abused by powers at be.

Long term I need a plan B.

good luck with your journey to where you want to be

Brightness