Spinal stenosis help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spinal stenosis help

stephaniew93
stephaniew93 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello, 

im writing on behalf of my mum who has spinal stenosis- we are from Scotland but have been recommended to check this forum out. 

She has been advised by pain nurse to cut cocodomal pain killers which in turn help her best. She is a 25 hour carer in the community and her job is by no means easy bathing up to 5 people a day- there is no task deemed easy by her work so she is struggling really bad at the moment. 

I am wondering if anyone has had any relief from other treatments other than tablets, I feel things are getting worse, and she is only 59 years old so doesn’t qualify for early retirement and we have been told she wouldn’t qualify for benefits?!

Thanks. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stephaniew93 and a very warm welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear your mum is in a lot of pain, how is she doing at the moment?

I was wondering if she has had reasonable adjustment at work? I appreciate this may be difficult due to the nature of her job.
    Scope

• stephaniew93
    edited October 2021
    @Chloe_Scope helllo, she is getting by as best as she can- unfortunately her job there is no light duties , some days she is good some days not great. She attends a pain clinic and they have given her a tens machine which gives some relief but not enough. 

[Username removed by moderator] I’m sorry to hear of your situation ☹️ My mum seen a spinal orthopaedic consultant last year where he managed to diagnose the spinal stenosis after 4 years of being told “general back pain, loose weight” & the tingling was a side effect of her stroke from 20 years ago. He did mention surgery but said my mum was not a good candidate and wouldn’t recommend. It’s good to hear you find benefit from chiropractor - I have been saying to her for a while to try one but she isn’t convinced I will let her know someone with her condition goes and sees good in it. 
  • Bluto
    Bluto Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hey Steph, totally understand where your at here, hard to know which way to go or who to turn to , before I comment is your mum suffering Thoracic or Lumbar region Stenosis?

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @stephaniew93, thank you for sharing this with us and I am sorry to hear the pain clinic wasn't as helpful as you had hoped. How are you both getting on today?
    Scope

• Sherlock20
    Sherlock20 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I I have spinal stenosis. I have had injections in my lower spine, and a Caudal Epidural. They have given a bit of relief for a few months but I am waiting for another appointment as I get a lot of back pain and muscle spasms. I have Gabapentin tablets and psi patches.  
  • Sherlock20
  • stephaniew93
    @Bluto lumbar stenosis- affecting her lower back and legs. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Sherlock20 and a warm welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you are getting a lot of back pain and that the relief was only temporary. When was your next appointment?
    Scope

• stephaniew93
    @Sherlock20 hello, my mum has never really had management options discussed - she attends the pain clinic where treatment is through physio (useless) and a tens machine. She also takes Gabapentin & Paracetamol. She uses the pain patched but doesn’t find any benefit with these. She too suffers spasms , cramps at night and numbness and tingling. 
  • Sherlock20
    U last went Nov 18 and was advised I would get an appointment in 6 months. I didn’t hear anything so I rang but was told it had changed and I should have rang them. I have seen the doctor and have to be referred again. I have been told there is no cure but inject an give relief for a period of time. 
  • Sherlock20
    My new appointment is 21 November I will ask to be put on the list for more injections. 
  • Sherlock20
    Stephanie, get your mum to ask if she can have injections. It is quick and doesn’t hurt. I would recommend it. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope the appointment goes okay @Sherlock20! Please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• Meredith46
    Meredith46 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    I too suffer spinel stenosis had operstion 15 years ago now spines gone again been waiting months to see consultant painkillers dont seem to work new t o this site hope some one can give advise
  • Meredith46
    Had infusion of the spine but was left with scaring pain and arthritis but now another part of my spine has gone had injections in past but no good pain clinic said they couldnt do any more for me had xrays and mri but it shows need new hip too so in agony with back pain and legs which effect my walking long wait to see a consultant 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Meredith46, I'm so sorry to hear this, it sounds like things are really tough at the moment. I really hope you don't have to wait too long to see a consultant!
    Scope

• Meredith46
    Thank you to all who tried to help

Brightness