Work capability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work capability

Jacquit
Jacquit Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited October 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I'm on ssp for cancer and chemo. 
I applied for uc on recommendation of macmillan. I get £4 per month!
I then discovered online about UC50 form which no one had mentioned despite me telling them on numerous occasions that I am employed and off sick.
I returned the form 30/09/19 and wondered how long it will be before I hear anything

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jacquit and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that this support was missed and that you weren't told the correct information. It can be up to 5 weeks before you receive your first payment, but this might be soon.

I really hope you are not waiting too long and please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• Jacquit
    Thank you Chloe, my next payment is due 6/11/19 it would be great if I received the extra payment then but I've discovered that the wheels of the benefit system do not tend to run smoothly or indeed with any speed!
    They overpaid me last month and then demanded it back so any payment I receive I am going to question if its correct or not!
    It's awful having to constantly worry about money when you have worked all your life and had to take a break through illness, then you feel that you are not believed when you tell people you have cancer. 

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @Jacquit The form UC50 is the start of the Work Capability Assessment.   This is the DWP's test to assess who is/is not limited in their capacity for work.  Given that you are undergoing treatment for cancer you will pass this assessment and been deemed to have "limited capability for work related activity", however the additional amount you will get, called the Limited Capability for Work Related Activity Element (currently £336.20 a month) is not payable until 3 UC assessment periods have passed, sometimes the process of the assessment being concluded can take longer than this, in which case the extra element is not paid until the conclusion is reached but the extra is of course backdated.  I appreciate this may be disappointing but I just wanted to make you aware of this.  Hopefully as your case is clear cut as far as the assessment process is concerned (because your treatment passports you through the assessment) hopefully there will not be a delay.  With best wishes for your treatment and recovery.  Sarah
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Jacquit
    Thanks sarah
    Just to clarify, is that 3 UC assessment periods since my original claim (1st August) or from the date they received uc50?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Jacquit said:
    Thanks sarah
    Just to clarify, is that 3 UC assessment periods since my original claim (1st August) or from the date they received uc50?

Its from the date you sent in your first fit note. If you are awarded LCWRA then it's paid in the 4 complete assessment period after this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jacquit
    I took my fit note in 1st August yes.
    Thank you
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jacquit
    I've just spotted your post and wondered, when you say 'they're giving me £4 per month', is that Universal Credit? Is this because you have a partner that work or because SSP is lowering your UC (or a mixture of both)?
    Do you mind if I ask when your SSP is set to end? 

I'm sorry to hear about your overpayment, it can be frustrating when this happens. Did they say what had caused it?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jacquit
    I get ssp and have been getting tax back so the £4 is the adjustment.
     They said I was overpaid because I didn't tell them what my income was that month!
    SSP is due to end in december
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Jacquit. Thanks for the extra information. I just wanted to check you were receiving everything you should. 

Are you still waiting to hear anything from them? 

With regards to the overpayment, you could ask them to lower the repayments on these by giving the UC debt management team a call. If you explain it is putting you in financial hardship they are usually quite good.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jacquit
    How long do you think I will have to wait for the work capability assessment?
    I sent the UC50 back on 30/09/19 and gave my first sick note on 1/08/19
    I also get a letter from council tax almost every week telling me my monthly direct debit, this has ranged from £0 to now £76!
    Before I claimed uc it was £17 a month! 
  • poppy123456
    There's no timescales for face to face assessment waiting times, it depends on backlog in your area. Some wait weeks, while others wait several months.

For you council tax reduction, are you claiming this separately? It's not part of UC. Other than that we won't be able to give any further advice regarding this because all local councils have their own criteria. My advice is to ring them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jacquit
    I'm off sick as I have cancer and going through chemo, I thought in that case I would not need a face to face assessment?
    Council tax reduction is separate yes but they have said its based on uc, I get £4 uc per month and before that my reduction was a lot more, it makes no sense.
    I've tried ringing but can never get through 
  • poppy123456
    I do apologise, i should have re-read your first question before answering your last question. Yes, you're right treatment for cancer means you'll automatically be given LCWRA without a face to face assessment but how long it will take for that decision i really don't know. The 3 month waiting period still applies here too.

You really do need to ring them regarding the council tax i'm afraid because we can't give advice regarding that. Try ringing early in the morning when they first open or if you can get to your local council offices then maybe call in.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @Jacquit, it's definitely worth querying your council tax. If you've selected it, UC automatically send them a notice each month of your earnings (including SSP) as well as your UC entitlement. I've seen it before that they've miscalculated council tax support and included full earnings AND the full UC before deductions for earnings (so thinking you get 317 plus your SSP, which obviously isn't the case). 

This may not be what they've done for you but if your support has dropped so much it would be worth speaking to them to find out what's going on.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jacquit
    I will do that thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.