My ESA is about to run out — Scope | Disability forum

My ESA is about to run out

Edward Member Posts: 2 Listener
I received a message from the ESA that I would no longer be entitled to ESA and to apply for UC in December. Is this a regular thing? I will be sick/disabled for the long term. I currently receive sick certs for 42 days at a time and am still under the pain clinic at Royal Berkshire Hospital. What then am I entitled to?

Many Thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,436 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019

    Are you claiming New style ESA? If you are then this is only paid for 1 year unless you're placed into the Support Group.

    have you had an assessment yet to determine which group if any you'll be placed into? I see you're still sending in fit notes which must mean you haven't had the assessment. Or have you had it and wee placed into the WRAG (LCW)?

    May i ask if you've received a work capability assessment form at all? This is known as the ESA50 form.

  • Edward
    Edward Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm claim PIP and have a blue badge, I forgot to mention that in my earlier post. I received a work assessment when I was attempting to claim UC and another when I claimed my PIP. Although my symptoms have got worse I have not advised anyone on the PIP side other than that no. 

    The person who took my assessment for UC advised that I was unable to work and another assessment would be required in 18 months time.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.