What kind of things do you do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What kind of things do you do?

daiseymoo
daiseymoo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi everyone what kind of things do you do as I cannot go anywhere without my scooter and need someone with me all the time 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    I’m in a similar position in that I have to wait for someone to be available to be with me to go out so am stuck at home most of the time.

I get very bored but the things I mostly do are:

play online games
    watch videos online
    study
    read and post on forums.

I would also be interested to get some new ideas.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    daiseymoo said:
    Hi everyone what kind of things do you do as I cannot go anywhere without my scooter and need someone with me all the time 
    Hi @daiseymoo, and thank you for your post, as I'm sure that you're not alone with this 'problem' if I may call it that!

Subject to your own disabilities, there are many things that you could think about pursuing perhaps to keep you occupied whilst also enjoying them. I am also unable to go out unaided and as with like yourself I only get out & about with the aid of mobility scooter... However, this doesn't prevent me from enjoying my hobbies such as art & design, and one only needs to look at the variety of art & crafts produced by other members of SCOPE to see that so many disabled people are creative and they also receive so much personal enjoyment and a sense of achievement whilst making their work too. 

You don't have to be Picasso or Rembrandt for example to be a creative artist or craft-maker, and the mediums that you can use come in all different materials sizes shapes & styles. You can make or create useable items or decorative ones from the comfort of your armchair, your bed or wheelchair, and the items that you create are only governed by what you are able to do... Countless people who have never considered themselves as being creative or able, or pleasantly surprised by their results, and so I would urge and encourage you to give this some thought... Check-out the community's Kaleidoscope thread to give you a few ideas, and if I can be of any further help then please ask me, as despite my illnesses and disabilities, I never tire of creating something for 'myself' my own enjoyment, and then in turn for the possible enjoyment by others.  
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Daisy, like you, I cannot go out alone. I retired on ill health 20 years ago and went from an active, busy, working mum to a static body, with a racing mind and still body. It drove me nuts.
    So after deciding I had to do something which I could manage, I looked for crafting hobbies.

Here`s a list of things I`ve done over the years;

writing short stories....I found these exactly what my busy mind needed. I wrote about 30...sent one in to a competition, but didn't win! However family and friends read them and said they were very good.

Quilting...now I needed help with this, but luckily my sister is good at sewing....we made a big one...double bed size and I had it hanging on my bedroom wall for years. It had the name of our 4 grandchildren on. I also made a lot of smaller ones and called them knee quilts.

Greetings cards....now this is a great hobby and card, embellishments have become so much cheaper with shops like Wilkinsons, Pound Shop, and The Range selling all sorts of affordable bits and pieces.

Jewellery....this wasn't so successful, but it was fun...beads were easy to thread onto elastic, but fastening ear ring and clasp fixers was hard!

Rag dolls....oh I did enjoy this one...I bought oddments in fabric shops, buttons and wool. I made a bride and groom for a friend. She was delighted! I`ve made lots of boy dolls, for ladies who live alone, so they`ll always have a man about the house! All in good fun.

Rock painting...this is a great international `game`.....you paint rocks, pebbles, stones and hide them. If you find any, they go on facebook and make people smile.

My hobby of the day is painting and decorating wood boxes...I use paint pens as my hands work better with the than actual paints. and I add gems to make them look pretty. I get the boxes in The Works. They start at £1. I am making them as Christmas presents.

So I hope I`ve given you some ideas.

best wishes xx

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are bored, have a look at this website https://www.craftcourses.com/categories/all

It has details of arts and craft courses and workshops. Have you seen the posts on social prescribing or not? 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @daisymoo, sorry to hear you are stuck indoors at times as many of us can relate to.  I have a mobility scooter also, but luckily am able to go out on it unaccompanied as I just need help from my husband to actually get out the door as have steps to go down.  When I am at home I enjoy making cards and have started a diamond painting which I am really enjoying doing.  I also love to cook and enjoy experimenting with new recipes.  Apart from watching tv, which can be boring at times, I like to read and coming on here and chatting to folk is great at passing the time too.  I also do online surveys at times which are quite interesting.  I hope you find something that interests you.  All the best.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Roddy
    Ails said:
    Hi @daisymoo, sorry to hear you are stuck indoors at times as many of us can relate to.  I have a mobility scooter also, but luckily am able to go out on it unaccompanied as I just need help from my husband to actually get out the door as have steps to go down.  When I am at home I enjoy making cards and have started a diamond painting which I am really enjoying doing.  I also love to cook and enjoy experimenting with new recipes.  Apart from watching tv, which can be boring at times, I like to read and coming on here and chatting to folk is great at passing the time too.  I also do online surveys at times which are quite interesting.  I hope you find something that interests you.  All the best.  :smiley:
    You forgot to mention @Ails, that all home-baked cakes should be sent to me! LOL
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Only if you want poisoned @Roddy, lol!  Still to master the home-baking.  There is always Mr Kipling to enjoy though...... : :D
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @daiseymoo I can definitely relate with you, it's quite frustrating! I spend most of the days writing, and playing some games just to have a break from writing. I would love to get out the house more but I have to wait until my Mum or my husband is home from work to be able to do anything, but by the time they get home, they are tired and I would feel like a burden if I asked to go out somewhere.
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Roddy
    Ami2301 said:
    Hi @daiseymoo I can definitely relate with you, it's quite frustrating! I spend most of the days writing, and playing some games just to have a break from writing. I would love to get out the house more but I have to wait until my Mum or my husband is home from work to be able to do anything, but by the time they get home, they are tired and I would feel like a burden if I asked to go out somewhere.
    Hi @Ami2301
    One of the great advantages of taking-up craft making etc., is that it can be done without feeling a burden on other peoples time... You can also pick & choose whenever you feel up to it, or bored for something to do. In fact, once you start seeing some results, you won't have enough hours in the day to devote to it, as you'll be enjoying your work so much!  
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love cardmaking. I also want to try embroidery and lacemaking as well. My favorite artistic hobby is beadwork. The trick is to pick a hobby you genuinely enjoy. This is a list of hobbies people love doing. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies.

Some hobbies require lots of equipment while others need little in the way of supplies. Cardmaking is one of the hobbies that initally only requires your imagination and minimal in terms of equipment. Consider how much equipment you will need beforehand. You can also order supplies online. Also research possible courses. 

I also signed up for community exercise classes. On weekends a few of us then meet up at a local cafe or restaurant for some food, light conversation and laughter. Is that a option? Find out what your local fitness centre offers in terms of keep fit classes. Additionally what about outdoor community facilities like tennis courts or outdoor pools etc? What sport do you honestly prefer? Remember that every bit of effort made counts. Again try to find out as much as possible prior to committing yourself. 

Some parks nowadays also have open air gyms. But if the weather is bad, become a member of your local indoor gym instead. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear you are feeling like this @daiseymoo. Being stuck indoors can be really challenging, especially on cold and dark days. I hope other people's suggestions have been useful.

When I can't leave the house I love to write, read or crochet. I learnt how to crochet through YouTube and I'm currently making a blanket (with a basic pattern) which keeps me busy and I actually find it quite relaxing. :) 
    Scope

Brightness