dad was claiming attendance allowance how long will it be paid for now he has just passed away — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

dad was claiming attendance allowance how long will it be paid for now he has just passed away

bigperson2018
bigperson2018 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I have been looking after dad in his flat  I don't live there  but have had to do longer hrs and nights over due to dementia getting worse and prostate cancer got worse was given any time up till 2 yrs to live he did get worse and died 2 weeks ago  having had the funeral a few days ago  and now sorting his flat out have been told the flat must be given back sorted in 4 weeks and all payed for he was up to date with rent  fully as a council flat for over 55..some people are coming from the council on Tuesday to discuss things how it is to be left etc .. my brother sorted out the death details   but we are not sure if attendance allowance still pay  for so many weeks  after a person claiming dies ? as the rent will still need to be payed  and bills before disconnection  any advice would be great please I have many other questions but will add once I gather some answers bit by bit  thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm sorry to hear that! You will need to report his death to DWP if you haven't already done this, once this is done then the benefits will stop. They won't continue to be paid once a person dies. If the changes haven't been reported then any money received after he's passed away will be an overpayment and this will need to be repaid back.

The only benefit that will continue is if someone was claiming carers allowance for looking after him, this is paid for 8 weeks after and then stops.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please do ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bigperson2018
    bigperson2018 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    yes this is  all helpful i thankyou im sure my brother would have filled a form  of report to all ,as council coming to speak about handing back council flat etc and had letter about rent being stopped  ...so was just checking  I knew something carried over I must contact carers allowance  then even tho I have 6wks left  and contact income support  top up  I get for being a carer and housing benefit which I get for help being a carer  as im sure that wont carry on 8 weeks as circumstances have changed will need to let all know from me  and council tax etc  are age uk able to help me if im over 60 if I get confused or any other I know cab tanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    What you can claim once your Carers allowance and income support ends will depend on your circumstances. If you're looking for work or unable to work because of a heath condition.

As you were claiming Carers allowance then it maybe possible to claim either New style JSA (if looking for work) or New style ESA (if unable to work because of a health condition) fit notes from your GP will be needed to claim New style ESA. Also whether you're entitled to this will depend on whether you've worked at all in the past and paid Ni Contributions. As you were claiming carers allowance this pays claim 1 NI which may entitle you to claim either of those, if you've worked at all.

If you haven't worked at all in the past and paid NI Contributions then you'll need to to claim Universal credit.

It's very complicated especially giving advice on an internet forum.

Age UK will definitely be able to advise you, if you have one in your area. Or your local CAB or welfare rights.
    Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @bigperson2018 and a very warm welcome to the community. If there is anything we can do to help then please do let us know!
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.