Speaking in Code — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Speaking in Code

DAVID55
DAVID55 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Why is it so difficult for NT's to understand that I get upset when I am told we are going out at 10.30, I will be ready in 10 minutes etc. Then keep me waiting 40 minutes. I just don't get it why they don't think that's a problem to someone with Aspergers! ?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @DAVID55. Like many of these sorts of things, I think this is probably often born of ignorance or thoughtlessness and they probably haven’t even considered how it affects you. I completely understand how frustrating it can be though. Have you tried to communicate to some of the people around you how important better (or more specific) timekeeping is for you?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • DAVID55
    Thanks for your advice but that's the point really. I don't really think it's important to NT'S to keep time or appreciate its difficult for me to not have timekeeping messed up. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I completely understand how important it is for you to keep to those times. My daughter has ASD and she has to have everything in her mind before she does anything because she needs to plan things. If a person gives her a time and they are late all she does is panic.

I try to explain to her that it's not always possible for people to keep to the exact times they give. Things happen in life sometimes that prevent keeping to times. For example.  traffic could be bad, which means it takes longer to get to where you're going and this can have an affect on times.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Sorry but I don't understand the NT reference (speaking code?) :smile:

I like watching American Football and to me NT means Nose Tackle and I don't think you mean a 300 pound but very fit person pushing you backwards, lol!!!!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • DAVID55
    Hi TK, NT = neurotypical
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Chobbly said:
    @Topkitten ?????you need help!....lol

Never a truer word spoken, lol! I'm sure that when mothers tell their children not to get into a car with a strange man it was me they used as an example.   Always been a bit strange. :smiley:
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness