Polymyalgia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Polymyalgia

Misscleo
Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
2 friends have this, one has been given steroids has a pain killer.
Has anyone come across this.
And any info would be appreciated 

Comments

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    I have been given steroid injection for my tennis elbow ...i was in pain with it and the steroid  injection has certainly helped me.
  • Misscleo
    Does anyone know difference between fibromyalgia & polymyalgia 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Misscleo -  Polymyalgia Rheumatica, to give it it's full name, mainly causes problems with your 'proximal' joints, i.e. those that occur closest to the main part of your body, so that's shoulders & hips. It causes in some severe pain & stiffness first thing in the morning, which is one of it's main characteristics. Fibromyalgia tends to more widespread....but I'll leave those who live with it to describe it better.
  • Misscleo
    I would like to gather more info before showing my friends.
    Thank you for your post
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    My wife has arthritis ( mostly in her hands and right knee ) She has been injected with a steroid injection and it has helped her knee immensly (pain wise) we were chatting about it today and she did say that a lot of doctors will not use steroids as a pain killer . So it seems to depend on what your doctor thinks best . 
    I use a big dose of steroids when i have a chest infection ( about 70 steroid tablets in seven days ) this helps me breathe when i get a chest infection  . 
  • chiarieds
    @Misscleo - Are you hoping to find out if steroid injections may help your friends with Polymyalgia? The difficulty is that we can't really give a 'medical' opinion, but rather only our personal experience(s). Steroids certainly may help with some painful disorders, as Seanchai has discussed, but an individual should seek their GP/consultant's guidance....they can see a person's medical notes, & are in the best position to advise.
  • Misscleo
    Well wr bothered by 1 friend gets steriods for her pain and the other wasnt offered any
    How do steriods work dose anyone know?
    Are there any dangers?
    If the friend who dosnt get them asks her GP for some and he refuses whats her next step to try them cos she in a lot of pain 
    Any views welcome 
  • chiarieds
  • Hannah73
    Hannah73 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited July 2021
    I did not have it, but <moderator removed link to webpage containing advertisement> should reduce pain, my father used this one, but you can buy one from Amazon as well.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Hannah73

In line with previous advice, I've removed a link to a webpage advertising paid for services from your post.  Advertising is not allowed on the community, as per our house rules therefore please avoid posting any similar links in the future.

Thank you.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness