Is it worth appealing? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it worth appealing?

Options
jenny_ann
jenny_ann Community member Posts: 18 Listener
Hi there 

I was told by a benefit advisor I would more than likely be refused DLA for my son first time round I apply. He was actually awarded high rate care and low rate mobility. For us a blue badge would really help but we need high rate disability, is it worth appealing? I just feel so grateful we got awarded first time that it seems greedy to try for the higher mobility 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It will only be worth appealing if he's entitled to high rate mobility. May i ask how old your son is?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jenny_ann
    Options
    Hi poppy, he is 10. He is autistic but he has severe behaviour issues when triggered ie noise or lights.
    sometimes to be parked close to the shop or wherever we are would be an unbelievable help. He hasn’t been safe in school he will run out etc and when out and about he can be unpredictable 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would advise you to get some face to face advice before requesting the Mandatory Reconsideration. Although most MR decisions remain the same there's a chance you could lose everything or of course he could be awarded higher. It's impossible to help you further on an internet forum. This link will help you find what's local to you for further advice. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jenny_ann
    Options
    Thank you poppy, I think I will just leave it im just grateful for what they have done already it’s life changing for him. I can adapt so much now to suit his life I just couldn’t afford before x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.