Mortgages — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mortgages

ladyfibro
ladyfibro Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi all ! I would like to know if any of you after a marriage breakdown have managed to carry on making mortgage payment, did you receive any help are there any benefits? I am in receipt of esa in support group and pip . Just  feel need to get ready for the eventuality . Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The only help available for those with a mortgage is something called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI). Which means it only pays for the interest on the mortgage. It's paid as a loan and will need to be repaid back if you ever sell your home. You also need to be claiming Income Related ESA for at least 39 weeks before you can claim it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    As I understand things the government is trying very hard not to give people with mortgages any assistance on the basis that they own property and could sell it. Thus people could live off the money instead of benefits.  Despite bringing in rules for CSA that conflict and families complicate matters, that ofc isn't their problem. Don't forget that Westminster isn't actually part of the UK, it exists in Cloud Cuckoo Land!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • ladyfibro
    thank you all It’s all so complicated and difficult and when you’re not well it just becomes harder to think 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @ladyfibro

The best thing you can do, is contact your mortgage lender.

They all have options to assist mortgage holders, so their homes are not at risk.

By way of example, they could offer you a different type of mortgage.

They are keen that borrowers get in touch, before problems are encountered.

Best wishes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    It could be counter productive to sell a house which has been adapted for a disabled person.
    Finding another property to live in, either rented or bought, could be really difficult.

If this is so for you ladyfibro, speak to social services.

best wises xx
  • ladyfibro
    Thank you so much for your values responses really good points . Yes I think the best thing when the time comes will be to talk to the lender , hopefully we will be able to work something out which I can afford . Thank you so much again ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ladyfibro! Please do let us know if there's anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• ladyfibro
    Thank you ? xxxx
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Good luck ladyfibro ?
  • ladyfibro
    Thank you  ? 

Brightness