Keeping warm this winter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Keeping warm this winter

Birdsnbees
Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
Hi scope friends

The winter is here and the temperature has really dropped. Wanted to start a thread of tips and hints on keeping warm and cosy in this weather without breaking the heating bills. If anyone has tips or hints to share please post below

Recently I have learnt how to layer properly my clothes for the first time and buying cheap and thin layers. This is better than buying thick clothes because the air pocket between clothes also keeps you warm.

Oats are great to eat for breakfast with warm milk will keep you warm all day if you have a good portion

Having a nice warm home cooked meal in the evening will help to keep you warm too. I know not always easy to cook or make things so I often get fresh asda soup cheap fair price and has nutrients and I'll have that for tea with some bread or a crumpet

I had an idea for a receipe for porridge, tried it this morning and it was delicious. Will share below.

I also found online a way you can make hand warmers at home super cheap. Get an old sock, put plain rice inside and tie the sock to keep the rice inside. Microwave for less than 1 minute, there you go you have a hot warm rice bag to put in your coat pockets for when you leave home

Receipe for chocolate orange porridge

Scottish Oats ASDA £1 for a big bag use a small portion
Dark Chocolate German Hearts £1 for a bag tesco
Mandarins 50p for a small tin asda brand
Milk

Cook the oats in a pan/microwave with the milk. Heat until as warm and as thick as you want. Put in chocolate hearts as many as you'd like the flavour of dark chocolate. Let them melt. Strain the mandarins and put in a seperate container. Use a spoon to put desired amount of mandarins with porridge. Mix all together. Now enjoy :smile:

The chocolate hearts are cakey inside with an apricot filling. The apricot compliments the mandarins in the receipe

Please share below any more tips hints and hacks! Let's keep each other warm

Lots of love Birdsnbees xx

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the recipe! Much appreciated @Birdsnbees
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    If moneys tight as it is for many it can be a good idea in winter just to heat one room at a time e.g your living room during the day and bedroom at night, hot drinks on a regular basis help you feel warmer, keeping curtains closed after dark will keep draughts out, and of course make sure you are getting the best deal possible for your gas and electric, we recently got a 12 month fixed deal that also gave us 50% of our tele and broadband from SSE, layers of clothing help keep you warm e.g 2 jumpers will keep you warmer that one thicker one,as will an extra blanket or throw over your duvet.
    Stay warm stay safe.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Didn't know SSE  did tele & broadband.
    Can you give details please
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2019
    Misscleo said:
    I don't believe they do TV, just internet and phone  https://sse.co.uk/phone-and-broadband

Edited and add this link, which does state that there's no TV service available.  https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/providers/sse-broadband

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    @Birdsnbees thank you for sharing those hints and tips :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi scope friends

The winter is here and the temperature has really dropped. Wanted to start a thread of tips and hints on keeping warm and cosy in this weather without breaking the heating bills. If anyone has tips or hints to share please post below

Recently I have learnt how to layer properly my clothes for the first time and buying cheap and thin layers. This is better than buying thick clothes because the air pocket between clothes also keeps you warm.

Oats are great to eat for breakfast with warm milk will keep you warm all day if you have a good portion

Having a nice warm home cooked meal in the evening will help to keep you warm too. I know not always easy to cook or make things so I often get fresh asda soup cheap fair price and has nutrients and I'll have that for tea with some bread or a crumpet

I had an idea for a receipe for porridge, tried it this morning and it was delicious. Will share below.

I also found online a way you can make hand warmers at home super cheap. Get an old sock, put plain rice inside and tie the sock to keep the rice inside. Microwave for less than 1 minute, there you go you have a hot warm rice bag to put in your coat pockets for when you leave home

Receipe for chocolate orange porridge

Scottish Oats ASDA £1 for a big bag use a small portion
    Dark Chocolate German Hearts £1 for a bag tesco
    Mandarins 50p for a small tin asda brand
    Milk

Cook the oats in a pan/microwave with the milk. Heat until as warm and as thick as you want. Put in chocolate hearts as many as you'd like the flavour of dark chocolate. Let them melt. Strain the mandarins and put in a seperate container. Use a spoon to put desired amount of mandarins with porridge. Mix all together. Now enjoy :smile:

The chocolate hearts are cakey inside with an apricot filling. The apricot compliments the mandarins in the receipe

Please share below any more tips hints and hacks! Let's keep each other warm

Lots of love Birdsnbees xx

Hi, this is a great post. Thankyou for putting it on. I have problems keeping warm, as I am paraplegic. We had a new boiler and some radiators installed this summer. I have started to feel the cold and have a fleece round me...heating bills are a big worry for lots of folk.
  • Birdsnbees
    edited November 2019
    Thanks @pollyanna1052 I have mobility difficulties too and struggle to move around. Being cold is one last things you do not need. xx
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Misscleo said:
    yes we have had telephone and b/band from them for about 4 years now, we were paying £23 for fibre b/b with great speeds but this was reduced to £11.50 a month for a year on the new tariff. saving £140
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Birdsnbees
    @woodbine is the broadband good? can you stream netflix and movies on it well? I'm looking for a better deal on my broadband my current contract is about to run out
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Birdsnbees   Please can I thank you for sharing. Many good tips and tricks.

Please if I can add. With Winter please be prepared start to plan right now.

Sit down make a list of things certain aspects you need to survive and keep safe, warm.

Be practical be sensible. Create a stocklist of foods you can prepare simply, easily and cost you not a lot.

Cheap eats are in my stores, fridge, freezer are the following.

Porridge, to go with Apples, Pears, frozen berries.  Including Dried Apples, Prunes.

Milk if not available use Water add in Yoghurt stir in.

Use your slow cooker over night Oats. Simply add Oats to a slow cooker cover with Milk and water . On low over night just before you go to bed. 

In the morning wake up Oats done and if too thick add a touch more water. Add in diced Apples or Pears from the fruit bowl.

To wok Noodles or any Egg Noodle simple Soup. Left over stocks, gravy, add in.  With veggies your choice.  Snip in to Soup Noodles no need for water.

Separate pan.

Couscous boiling water to cover instant Cereal. Add any fruits of your choice.  Stir in Yoghurt and Honey.

Any left overs such as Veggies add in for lunch.

Think of the freezer. Small snacks . Muffins, Potato Cakes, Bread Buns, Pancakes all useful to freeze.

Instant Breakfast toast, with butter, honey if not hungry.  Those with some illness or mental health I know myself this.

Top with Eggs scrambled Omelettes I call them.. No need Milk to Eggs beaten add season . Into a pan with Eggs allow to set stir and top on any bread products.

Does not have to be toast or bread. 

Use Rice, Orzo as a easy way to fuel up at Lunch time. Orzo is a Rice grain Pasta into anything you have sauces, stocks or jar tomato Pasta sauce, pre boil drain and add.

I use Gnocchi as well. Combine with frozen Spinach.   Frozen Spinach a easy standby but is used because it has been proved to cut down hunger and makes you full up.

I do Pasta with Spinach, Cherry Tomatoes with any shape or sauce fills you up.  If your full remember no need to eat again. Saves another meal.

I use Tinned Tomatoes Products all of them.  Easy to use and for every day.

One simple Breakfast tin of Tomatoes. Two Eggs cracked in to a Pan add Season when set add to a Bowl serve with bread buns.

I have had this me and why not. Left over veggies night before in the morning.

Veggie Curry, with two Eggs. Who cares it fills you up. 

Make Evening meal with Lean Meat with lot more veggies use Slow Cooker if you have one.

Pulses, Beans and if the need to have a cooked Breakfast use Chicken Sausages or Black Pudding low in fat but filling with Beans or Eggs or Tomatoes.

Or use Bread Buns freezer a sandwich Sausage sandwich any one.

The home go on line . Look at AMAZON, WHICH magazine subscribe to that.

If not already do on line shopping. I think the best thing ever.

Lots of advice, guidance, plus AMAZON buy cheap bargains. Thermal socks big packs, T shirts to layer up under a shirt.

Layering up is important.  Move about do simple movements walk about, do some house work . Make a room the centre of your home to keep warm.  

If using your front room, living room close all doors every time, drafts and windows double check.

Keep your heating on low, heat rises so in my home. On in the morning a couple of hours or more but it is still warm because I keep the doors shut, blinds shut. Use tin foil to reflect heat back into the room behind radiators.

Turn it off .  Then back on around afternoon but in the mean time have and do move about, eat small snacks, nuts, fruit. Malt loaf or Soup.

Look on line for your Utility company. Is this working for you. WHICH has a list of the best deals.

I use on line Utility companies because can contact them through on line chat. Discuss options, choices any issues any time of day.

Does help instead of getting tongue tied or hanging on the phone.

Check out Broadband as well. WHICH magazine again.

Your in control threaten to leave ask for Warm Front Grant for Winter . Most companies should be telling you but do not.

I once threaten to leave a broadband supplier got a deal as well on my TV Package.  At the time I had one.  Ask about combos of Mobile, Broadband and TV.  You be amazed.

As some Broad band suppliers have a special unit for our community ask they will not tell you this.

Explain your situation I do on line and on the phone.  Not an Oscar winning performance just honesty and being open.

They want your business. Some of them will give you incentives.

One joined recently gave me a number to call for just our community and lots of guidance, tips, and advice. I forget not good on phone do it on line.

Same with Utilities argue on line other week a fixed deal were going to increase. Spoke to On line call centre lovely, pleasant, polite going to put my bill up to another figure so asked can I ask not  afford this.

Said on benefits do offer a plan and do have debt advice something else you must remember .

So got a new deal.  Your in control.

Also try to eat every four hours, get cold drink hot water from the Kettle. I do not drink tea use hot water to get warm.

If living in rural spots. Have shovel, wellies in the hall. To move away any snow.  Bags of Salt for icy paths cheap ones.

One important thing may I add, use this forum to contact the Community we have information, guidance, advice on many aspects of keeping safe and warm.

Please ask the Team or members of our Community Champions we be only  too glad to help.

I am one of the Community Champions please ask me if you wish .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    I got into debt with the elec co last winter and they were incredibly nasty about it, leaving me unable to eat or sleep. It got sorted in the end via the CAB, and I got a grant. But elec co really hounded me and as I was already unwell, they made things much worse.
    That kind of pressure over a couple of hundred quid should not be allowed.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    My son is also paraplegic. I use a portable heater for warmth as well as the fire. Used to have electric blankets but found them rubbish. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   Want to say your not alone with this.

Big problem the Utility companies regarding bills not clear.

I went with a company. Ended up costing me around £220 plus leaving fees.

The bill was so complicated and so clueless was those helping me. I found out costing a lot more.

Just because they said this amount each month not necessarily so.

I did a post on Utility Companies and the billing. The deceiving the under hand tricks they use.

WHICH magazine done a lot of exposure on them.

I was on the books of one company disabled and those elderly all false promises.

Got complaints and got compensation from Energy Watch dog.

Not a lot but these Companies over ten have gone bust this few years.

Advise you to do your home work some research.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    Spiceman:
    I need to move to another elec supplier really. But which one, theres so many out there now. Dont want to go out of the frying pan into the fire, so to speak.
    Anybody with a good one, they could recommend? Are we allowed to mention company names here coz I think I did name them in another post......
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @Franstrahan. It does seem that the best/cheapest suppliers vary depending on where in the country you are. Have you tried looking at any comparison websites? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    Yes, but there was so much to look through it was information overload. I'll have to have another go. Amazed that where you are in the country can affect it.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    Keeping warm watching tv  with 2 blankets and my big fat lap cat ? Feels very cosy.
  • poppy123456
    I used to be with SSE and i must admit i couldn't believe how expensive they become over the years. It was costing me a fortune to heat my 2 bedroom flat. During winter months i keep my heating on for about 12 hours a days. My pain levels are always much worse during the winter months and being cold isn't an option for me.  With SSE i was paying £124 per month for both electric and gas, yes it was a lot but that's what my PIP pays for during the cold months.

I did a comparison search on MSE and found that Octopus energy came out the cheapest for me but i was scared to change because Octopus energy really isn't that well known. Well i decided to take the plunge and move to them thinking i really didn't have anything to lose and there's no exit fees either. Since i move to them my monthly bill is now £73 and i've already had a refund of £96 and at the moment i'm £190 in credit. They are amazing and i would recommend them to anyone. Do a comparison is my advice and see what it says.
  • poppy123456
    Cressida said:
    Keeping warm watching tv  with 2 blankets and my big fat lap cat ? Feels very cosy.
    Fat lap cat? haha, sorry but i thought that was funny. I have the same fat cat too, way too heavy to sit on my daughters lap :D Got to love these cats!
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @poppy123456 ? he weighs a ton! He thinks he's human and the minute I sit down he jumps on my lap. Never had such an affectionate cat. I'm not complaining as he's gorgeous ?

Brightness