Steamer - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Steamer

2»

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Chobbly:
    I would never have thought of that! Yes chicken is one of the few meats I like. Thanks for that.
    Poppy:
    Nearest supermarket is Tesco, will have to check where nearest Aldi and Lidl are. Thank you. I'm not on Facebook, but will look on Gumtree. Thank you Poppy. I know a freezer would be handy and dont think the electric consumption will be any more then the fridge, so fingers crossed for Gumtree.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Franstrahan, do be a bit careful with my suggestions because my diet is about as unhealthy as it gets, lol! Apart from a few Chinese vegetables in a curry I haven't eaten ANY vegetables since I was 6 years old (I decided I didn't like them any more).

Keep it simple with just a couple of basic things then, when a little more confident, add a little more.

Another simple suggestion....... 2 or 3 slices of thin sliced beef or chicken, instant mashed potato (just need to boil a kettle) and instant gravy. Simple Sunday dinner in 5 minutes or less.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Bettahm
    My diet is probably totally unhealthy too at the mo, which is why my friend bought me the steamer!
    The Sunday roast sounds a good one to try, with chicken, mash and veg. Not had a Sunday roast for years. I'm not into much in the way of meat coz of fat on it and other 'things' like you get in liver and such. Meat used to be served up at home when I was a kid, and I used to cut most of it away and leave it. As my dad used to say 'you're suppose to eat it, not operate on it'. Yuk!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Franstrahan   Thank you kind words.

I would if you feel confident enough visit a electrical retailer. Like Curry's .

These retailers have prices on goods. Does not mean they have to sell at that price.

Trade is trade and you need to know they make massive profits. Many have flexible terms on anything electrical.

I have with a friend does help . Went in had a limited amount of money got a bargain.  They not going to dismiss you if got some money.

At the moment Curry's 30% off a lot of goods.

You can see if you look at the website.

Also remember they all come with three year plans.  

I do recommend a freezer as my friend @poppy123456 says because it is necessary in these times.

I bought a frost free one.  Under £100 ..

One other point if you went in like I did purchased a lot of electrical goods with cash more discounts.

Lots of smiles, charms and being polite works for me.

Once you do get a freezer it is an extension of your stores cupboard.

Lots to freeze that you thought you could not.

Always here anytime to suggest, give ideas or look on the forum. Always putting recipes on the forum.

Have a look at your local College something to think about. Often have cooking courses for a range of abilities, skills.

You meet other people.  Like yourself.

Hope any of this helps.

Wish you well.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Bettahm
    Chobbly:
    Thanks for those websites. Things I never knew existed, have only been online since June, so deciding to join Scope forum had been a real blessing to me. Will go and have a look around those sites. Need a new settee too....... 
  • Bettahm
    Spiceman:
    I'm going to have a look for a freezer on the free cycle sites first, as money non-existent. But you are right, I think it would be a good idea to have one. I've still to check out slow cookers, just want to know how heavy they are on electricity usage.
    Thank you
  • Bettahm
    Chobbly:
    Freegle is excellent. Recommend to anybody. No freezer yet, but I'm on to some wood effect vinyl floor tiles. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep searching regularly as never know what I might find!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited November 2019
    Hi @Franstrahan. I've found this useful article on their energy consumption (it's an Australian site, but quotes UK research). A few quotes from the article:

"Slow cookers can also be an energy-efficient option – they use just a little more energy than a traditional light bulb," the website says. The Centre for Sustainable Energy (www.cse.org.uk) estimates the average electricity usage of an electric oven between 2-2.2kWh, while a microwave uses between 0.6-1.5kWh.

Energy comparison website Uswitch says: "Slow cookers can also be an energy-efficient option – they use just a little more energy than a traditional light bulb, and you can leave your food to cook slowly while you get on with other things."  

https://www.smh.com.au/money/saving/is-a-slow-cooker-a-money-saver-20140225-33ewl.html

Just to add: I'm not much of a cook, but have found slow cooker recipes really easy and cheap to follow. Chop a few things, throw it in and leave it alone.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Bettahm
    Ok thanks Adrian, I'll check that out. It was the fact that they are on for hours that bothered me regarding the elec usage, but do like the fact that seems you can throw anything in, go away and forget about it, come back and its cooked. That easy. Suits me. Thanks for the info.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Franstrahan. The site I linked seems to indicate that having the slow cooker on for 8-10 hours was still less energy than running an electric oven for just 1.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    My slow cooker has 3 settings.... low (8hours), medium (4 hours) and high (2 hours).

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Bettahm
    Adrian:
    Yes I read the info at the site. It's looking fine, as long as you cook it on low for around 8 hours. I'm convinced. Thank you. I will start checking them out, also recipes. Nice winter warmers!
  • Bettahm
    TK:
    Yes I'm convinced I need one. On my wish list, I will start sourcing one. Elec consumption looks ok long as it's on low for 6 to 8 hours. Dont know for sure but probably healthier way to cook too, instead of zapping stuff in the microwave.

Brightness