Research into ease of access — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Research into ease of access

ok111
ok111 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited November 2019 in Research and opportunities
Pleasure to meet you all! I go by OK. Although I don't have a disability myself, I joined the forum in order to gain insight for a school project that I've been working on, and would appreciate any insight and unique perspectives that you could offer.

I'm currently conducting research regarding ease of access to public facilities, buildings, and transportation while being physically limited in mobility. If you rely on a wheelchair or generally need to use access ramps as opposed to stairs, could you please answer the following questions?

1. How easy is it for you to get from one place to another?

2. Do you think public buildings/facilities are doing enough right now to enable handicapped people to get around? In general, what changes would you like to see in terms of public accommodations that would improve your travel experience?

3. When was the last time you couldn’t go somewhere or access an entrance due to your limited mobility?

4. Are you satisfied with current building accessibility management (elevators, etc) in the area where you live?

5. Can you walk me through your daily commute/travel plans?

I hope this is an appropriate place to ask this and would truly appreciate it you could help me out. Thank you again!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ok111 and a very warm welcome to the community! I wish you the very best of luck with your research. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ok111. Welcome to Scope. It might be better to design a survey asking disabled people to fill it out. That way you can use the results to help you. Best of luck with your research!

Onto your questions now: 

We occasionally have had issues. A few weeks ago when we were at the train station, I had to ask my friend to help me push his wheelchair onto the train safely. And it depends on a number of factors including stairs. My local supermarket is pretty easy as it has a levelled entrance but on Monday night we went to a local family pub for dinner.
    There were doors but overall again it was pretty easy to enter. In comparison I've had issues at the hospital trying to enter the building and at airports. If I did not know about adaptations, I think I would be stark mad by now. Can you tell us about your experiences or not? 
    And in terms of accessibility at home, the apartment building has a lift. I often use it. In public when out shopping or at the leisure centre with my son in tow I use the lift. I want to see more physical disability and wheelchair awareness and training schemes. My son cannot walk at all. I am thinking of starting a national campaign to basically insist that access ramps are installed everywhere and better training too. It is about time. 
    Do you use a wheelchair? I could literally write a essay on this topic. 
  • ok111
    @Chloe_Scope Thank you! It's a legitimately fascinating topic that I feel hasn't been delved into enough.

@April2018mom thanks a ton for your feedback, I really appreciate it. A national campaign honestly wouldn't be a bad place to start, especially when lack of access ramps isn't something many people would automatically list as a pressing issue due to not having to consider them when wanting to access a building or means of transportation. Even though I don't use a wheelchair, I absolutely see the necessity for those that do.

Here's the link to the survey I made for this (same questions), for those also wishing to contribute:

• April2018mom
    ok111 said:
    @Chloe_Scope Thank you! It's a legitimately fascinating topic that I feel hasn't been delved into enough.

@April2018mom thanks a ton for your feedback, I really appreciate it. A national campaign honestly wouldn't be a bad place to start, especially when lack of access ramps isn't something many people would automatically list as a pressing issue due to not having to consider them when wanting to access a building or means of transportation. Even though I don't use a wheelchair, I absolutely see the necessity for those that do.

Here's the link to the survey I made for this (same questions), for those also wishing to contribute:

Link does not work? And thanks. It is a important issue for my family as my son has had a wheelchair for more than a year now. 
  • ok111
    edited November 2019
    @April2018mom my apologies, for some reason the link broke. Do you have some sort of route that you and your son travel through on a regular basis as part of a daily/weekly routine? If so, could you describe to me what it's like?

Here's an updated, working link for those still interested in filling the survey out:
  • April2018mom
    I filled it out. 

I rarely use public transport since my husband has his own car. If we are heading into town, we either walk or ask my husband to drop us off. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger

Posts on the Events, research and opportunities is the only board that permits the publishing of an email, contact number or survey link.
    Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.
    We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.
    Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.