Fireworks and PTSD. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fireworks and PTSD.

Onix
Onix Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
Hey all, I know loads of people like fireworks and bonfires etc, but for some it is absolutely crippling - the smell, the bangs, flashes.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!

There's just no need, I guarantee I'm not the only only one climbing the walls with their heart in their mouth - trying to slow thoughts, not zone out and regulate breathing - just as you almost get there, another huge bloody round of bangs, smells and then it starts again ???

WHEN WILL IT STOP!!!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really sorry this has been difficult for you @Onix, this time of year cannot be the easiest!

I'm sure other people will be able to relate to what you have said and I hope you can find some ways that help you stay calm. How are you doing today? 
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    You're definitely not alone with this @Onix. Hopefully now it's past the 5th it'll calm down a little bit. 
    I hope you've managed to get some rest. Please let us know how you're getting on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Well I`m hoping it`s over for another year. My little dog was hiding under my bed, shaking and panting again last night.

And they ARE definitely getting louder.

Humbug!
  • Onix
    @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope 

Hi, just about to write I was levelled off and the bang that went off could have been right beside me. Back to being a mess ?. Ah well, such is life I guess ??.

Hope all is good in your respective areas ☺.

@pollyanna1052

Have a look at Zylkene. It's like a milk protein that helps to calm dogs. If that doesn't work, I'd use an adaptil plug in.
    Also, if you have something like a t-shirt or jumper with your scent on it - put it on your furkid and wrap it tight. That helps provide comfort - it does the same as a thunder shirt but just way cheaper ☺. Hope this helps a wee bit.
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited November 2019
    Sorry to hear your having a hard time Onix ....we seem to get more fireworks( in Scotland)  at new year than guy fawkes night . Although a huge bang ( explosion) went off last night that shook my windows . God knows what kind of firework it was but it was ' BIG ' . Thankfully my bulldog is way to laid back to bother about fireworks ...infact the year i got him the fella over the back fence had a fireworks party and their was Hamish , sitting watching the fireworks including bangers and rockets ...although i know one bulldog owner who's furry pal had a heart attack and died . I,m sure there cannot be many countries still sell explosives over the counter ???☹ I did notice a few of the bigger stores have stopped selling them . I hope its not to long until all but organised displays are allowed . I wonder if the statistics of the injured are being stiffled this year ??
    Our own councilmhad a big fireworks display ...this is tge same council that are cutting things to the bone due to austerity ...then they go and spend many many thousands of pounds on a display .
  • paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @Onix

Hi, hope you're feeling better today.

I also have PTSD and jump at the slightest thing, never mind fireworks!!

In the past we have had dogs that fortunately weren't too bothered about the fireworks. 
    But this year daughter and her cat have been living here and it was so upsetting the other day to see how distressed he was. Poor thing didn't know where to go for the best! 
    I put him in bed with me with daughters jumper round him but he still couldn't settle! 
    Was so relieved for him when it was all over. 

@Seanchai
    Your Hamish :D

But how sad for your friend's bulldog. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Sorry to hear this @Onix! How are you feeling this morning? :)
    Scope

• Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    Another year of ' surviving' fireworks at this time of year, i hope you are all well this morning . Someone suggested firework without bangs and screetches ...silent fireworks . Thats exactly why i ( and my family) used to send chinese lanterns into the sky , a nice sight without bangs etc. ...although i see they are about to ban these lanterns now. There was complaints of chinese lanterns wire being eaten by cows and other farm animals , so the wire was taken out and straw replacing the wire , then we had complaints of farm animals eating the paper , so the paper was changed to rice paper ...i just wonder who was doing the complaining about chinese lanterns , was it farmers or fireworks companies chairpersons ? ?☹.
  • Onix
    @Seanchai
    I'm in Glasgow at present and I totally agree, New Year definitely tops guy fawkes. I'm absolutely dreading it. That's great Hamish wasn't bothered ☺.

@paffuto10
    It certainly makes things awkward, that's for sure. Hopefully, we'll have a bit of respite now ☺.

@Chloe_Scope
    I'm not too bad thanks - how are things with you? ☺
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm good thanks @Onix! Glad it's Friday though!  :D
    Scope

• Onix
    @Chloe_Scope
    Have a great weekend ??
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you @Onix! How are you today? :)
    Scope

• Onix
    Hi @Chloe_Scope
    Hope you had a good weekend ?.
    Things not good here, were going ok till I got pip report back ??.
  • paffuto10
    Oh no @Onix

Is it bad? 
  • Onix
    Let's just say I shouldn't have bothered, when that excuse of a report gets submitted, they'll just screw me right over. Absolutely no point at all!!
    Anyway, sorry I don't mean to drag folks down - ignore me - the assessor clearly did.
  • paffuto10
    Onix, sorry I've just taken an hour to get back to you. 

Adult son who lives in supported housing has phoned. His online shopping didn't arrive but Tesco says it's been delivered. 

Looks like it may have been stolen (although I don't like to think that) so I think the police will be called.

Anyway to get back to your report. Is there anything in it at all, that's correct?

• Onix
    @paffuto10
    Oh no, nightmare ?, I hope you both get to the bottom of it. I'd tell tesco you are reporting it as theft and hopefully they will offer to deliver your sons shopping as a gesture of good faith at the very least.
    Got everything crossed for a positive outcome - let me know how it goes ☺.

Re report, some was true to be fair, I'll just need to wait on decision before I can do anything though.
  • paffuto10
    edited November 2019
    Thanks @Onix
    Yeah, I am sure we'll sort something out about son's shopping. 

Your report: I deliberately didn't ask for mine because my assessment went really badly and I just knew it would be a bad report and upset me. 

But when decision came it was good and DM actually wrote that she'd gone by the medical evidence and had changed the descriptors (which I think meant she had gone against the assessor report) 

So I'm thinking if some part of your report Is correct DM might do the same as mine and go with medical stuff and change descriptors?

Anyway, I know it's hard but try to think positive because of what happened to me. x

• Onix
    Morning @paffuto10. Did you manage to get your son's shopping sorted?

I was told to ask for a report by the folk that helped me fill form in. It was just sods law it was delivered when their was no-one around and everybody winding down for the weekend.

I do need to sit when I'm less stressed (haha) and go through all the points properly ready for their decision.

God, i'm such a moaner ??.
    Anyway, hope you have a great weekend ?.
  • paffuto10
    edited November 2019
    And you @Onix

Yes thanks, got to the bottom of the missing shopping.  :)
    Delivery van had broken down. 
    Money has been been refunded and son has re done his shopping list. 

Wishing you a bit of peaceful mind over the weekend, if that's at all possible, under the circumstances! x

Brightness