LA carers rates of pay — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LA carers rates of pay

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2019 in Coffee lounge
Hi, looks like I`m going to be looking for a new carer and wondering what others pay their`s. The local authority give me £9.07 an hour to pay my carers. Anyone willing to tell me please? Many thanks. x

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    i'm going for jobs atm as a carer and tbh that's more than what so far i've been offered, so i guess that will depend on where you live, in the east midlands etc where i come from, carer's get the min wage, so aged over 25, i'm 52 it's around for basic in my area of from between £8.21 to £8.40 or 17k per year full time, if that's any help, so £9 is good from my point of view, then again some do get more for one to one so hope someone can give you more advice soon
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I live in the North and my  youngest daughter receives £8.50 an hour for her carer, paid for through direct payments.  My eldest daughter is a support worker/carer and receives £9.35 per hour.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • zakblood
    what level is she at if you don't mind me asking Poppy?

as level one is beginners like me are on the minimum wage, level 3 is senior, and seniors gets around £10 in the midlands, so just wondered, and this is for care home work, not mobile etc? will be nice as it's supposed to be going up soon for everyone, then again i still need to find a job first
  • poppy123456
    For my daughter it's based on qualifications and the higher the qualification the more you receive per hour. She graduated with a masters degree (2:1)  in health and social care in May this year. She's now a residential childcare officer and works in a children's home. She's also only 22.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • zakblood
    thanks, well as soon as she reaches 25 her money will jump and hopefully she will be able to maybe pay of some of the debt that most get for doing masters / degree etc and good luck to her, i'm at a interview in just over 2 hours, so maybe i'll be doing the same, or not, but dislike the pay per age bracket also, imo you should be paid for experience and on how well you do a given job, not because of your birthday etc, but too long a post and not the right one for this forum maybe :) 
  • poppy123456
    @zakblood thanks. I totally agree about age and hourly pay. Good luck with this interview and hopefully this time you'll have good news! :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pollyanna1052, is the money through direct payments? This would mean you would pay them the money the LA has given you, unless you also have been asked to contribute.

Sounds like your eldest daughter is in a interesting job @poppy123456! All the best to her.

I hope your interview goes well today @zakblood!
    Scope

• zakblood
    well to my surprise i was offered the job at the end of the interview, so only took me 31 interviews, and now a job offer, just need HR to put it in writing then they contact my reference etc and get a police check etc and then i can start the training program, with the date, it maybe before Christmas or i maybe just get the training done and then start off in the new year, but overall i'm chuffed as punch and so glad to be away from the benefits system, also in the post today only after 4 months waiting i received my Tribunal date for ESA dated on the 26th of November, so that was quick and also unexspected, so now just need to see if i get the letter and training started as if so, i'm saying no thanks to the extra stress of the Tribunal and extra £1k backdated if i win, as i'll be earning and will be well happy and pleased to see this chapter well behind me, thanks
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    That's brilliant news @zakblood, congratulations! Really pleased for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    @zakblood that's fantastic news!! I'm so happy for you, many congratulations! I hope you'll love your new job. You should be feeling very pleased with yourself! I know i would be! smiles all round! :)
  • poppy123456
    @Chloe_Scope thank you. Challenging is what she tells me.

One thing i didn't mention is that she's now expecting her first baby.... my FIRST grandchild and he's (yes, a boy) due at the end of March. Very excited to say the least!  :):):) She will return to work once maternity leave has finished.
  • zakblood
    congratulations to you on your news, makes mine feel quite lower down the scale on the grandier scale of events, so hope mum and child are both doing well and also hope you have had more than a few cuddles and taken plenty of pictures...
  • pollyanna1052
    zakblood said:
    i'm going for jobs atm as a carer and tbh that's more than what so far i've been offered, so i guess that will depend on where you live, in the east midlands etc where i come from, carer's get the min wage, so aged over 25, i'm 52 it's around for basic in my area of from between £8.21 to £8.40 or 17k per year full time, if that's any help, so £9 is good from my point of view, then again some do get more for one to one so hope someone can give you more advice soon

Thank you for that info. It is a very low hourly rate....£8.21 is minimum wage for over 25s. So guess I am ok offering £9.07, plus holiday and sick pay..oh and enhanced rates for Bank Holidays.
  • pollyanna1052
    Hi @pollyanna1052, is the money through direct payments? This would mean you would pay them the money the LA has given you, unless you also have been asked to contribute.

Sounds like your eldest daughter is in a interesting job @poppy123456! All the best to her.

I hope your interview goes well today @zakblood!

Hi Chloe, yes this is the rate I pay my carers through Direct Payments. I am paying £39.22 a week towards the full amount.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    So unbelievably happy for you @zakblood!

Oh congratulations @poppy123456! You must be so excited!

Yeah, that makes sense @pollyanna1052, I hope you are able to get your care in place very soon!
    Scope

Brightness